Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one step at a time

wondering what is a good, CHEAP, way to get a 2.5" suspention for my 95 wrangler, he's riding on his axle, hurts my bum

Moved . . . Nailer could prolly answer your question
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

thanks!

thanks for the move, I should also add I'm not yet looking for professional equipment, however not looking for a quick fix necessarily. also, other then a few hundred bucks what is the diff between nitro and hydro shocks?

Comment

call your local four wheel parts wholesaler, and ask about their pro comp springs..
        otherwise, if you just want to get a bit more room... you could do a 2" body lift, or 1" body lift, and 1" shackle lift.
        i'm not to fond of the shackle lifts though.
        good luck
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Nailer, just the opposite here. Not fond of body lifts. 1-2" is ok, any more than that, well, had a friend who had a body shop in CO, well he said that he had seen a few 4x4's with body lifts, when they got into accidents, the whole body shifted, costing them more repair work.

I know what you're gonna say and I agree. Huge shackle lifts are a no-no. So I liked it when you said " 1" shackle, 1" body " sounds like a great way to inexpensively lift Ace's wrangler.

Comment

Do it right ! Then you only have to do it once . Spring kits are cheap and getting cheaper . My personal prefferance is for the Rancho springs and shocks ( 9000x's )

Comment

I've got to get the suspention anyhow so I'll look into the Rancho springs and shocks, thanks for the advice. I suppose a 1" body lift wouldn't hurt, I'm not to keen on body lifts, Unless I'm going for some huge swampers, I don't much see the point. Any other advice would help great.
              Thanks guys!

Comment

bodylifts are not a great thing to do but they do have there advantages , when the body goes up so can the fuel tank and the transfer case and motor . alot of work but clearance is a good thing

Comment

If you are looking to make the jeep big sometime down the line, just buy a Rancho 2 1/2 kit and then if you want to get some real lift later, just do a spring over with those springs...you'll be sittin at about 8" with that set up! LOL Really though, you don't need anything more than 2 1/2 inch springs to get 33's on there....just add a longer shackle when you are ready, and be prepared for some interesting handling quirks... I have 1 3/8" lift shackles with 4" SuperLift springs, and I love this setup aside from the way screwed up castor. This can be fixed by turning the knuckles, but it's a major pain. I can live with it. I had 2 1/2" springs with the longer shackles, and my 33"x12.50 BFG's rubbed the fenders pretty hard when stuffing a tire, but I could have just added bump stop extensions to stop it without adding more lift (I have NO bump stops now )

Oh, and I WAS kidding when I said do a spring over with 2 1/2" springs...spring over sucks

:shades:
                  1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                  My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

I won't need to get extended stearing, or drive shafts with 2.5 will I? and will I be able to fix most problems with an alinment? never put a lift on my own, did a friends, with him once, but don't know if he had any problems with it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ace
                      I won't need to get extended stearing, or drive shafts with 2.5 will I? and will I be able to fix most problems with an alinment? never put a lift on my own, did a friends, with him once, but don't know if he had any problems with it or not.
                      at 2.5 inches you should have no problem with driveshaft length. You might have a bit of a problem with the pinion angle, but that is easily fixed with degree shims. They go between the spring and the axle, and rotate it to get the proper angle. As for the steering, after the lift an alignment is all that is needed. The installation is pretty straight forward, take old off . . . put new on. Good luck.
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i had the rancho 2 1/2" lift for a while.. it required 2.5 degree shims, and 3/4" transfer case drop, and there were no vibes.. it was actually a nice set up, but i'll warn you in advance.... you will want to go bigger in the near future, so you may want to go right to it, and save the money for a 4" lift.
                        even with the 4" lift, you can get away with 6 degree shims, and a 1" transfer case drop, and be "pretty much" vibe free... at least long enough to save some money for the s.y.e.
                        something to concider
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Definitely - if you have any thought in your mind whatsoever that you will want it to be bigger within the next two years, just wait till you have the coin to do it to it. You will kick yourself for spending the money on the 2 1/2's if what you really want is more lift.
                          1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
                          My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Only concern I see that noone mentioned about the 4" lift, steering correction. Dukes said all that you need is an alignment at 2.5", true. I thought it was said, that at 4" or higher, you should give thought to a dropped pitman arm. Am I wrong?? My Jeep isn't that tall yet, well, 2.5" Rancho and extended shackles with 33's, don't have a pitman arm anyhow, just a bellcrank. Anyhow, would Ace need to change the pitman if he went with the 4" lift?

Comment

I'm not too sure about YJ steering, but a droped pitman arm at 4 inches probably isnt a bad idea. BUT, you might be able you get away with just having the stock one. I would d a 1" body lift and a 2-2.5 inch suspention lift, and you'll have a good looking jeep. and a capible one too
                              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
                              X