Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyjacker RockLock Sway Bar Disconnect Question

I want to remove my JKS disconnects and go to something I do not have to mess with to much when I want to go out on my own. The JKS, for me are to much of a pain if I am alone so I am looking at other options like the skyjacker. My Jeep is my daily driver/vacation car and I can put 20K on it easily. I have to have good on road manners. I drove a Jeep with the Currie system and HATED IT on road. Totally wishy washy...YUCK! Per the advertisement the Skyjacker system will not mess with on road handling.

Any first hand experience with this system or others that you would recommend? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Katherin

from Quadratec site: Skyjacker® Suspensions’ new patent pending RockLock Sway Bar for the ’97-’06 Wrangler is a hot new item for the off road enthusiast. Unlike other adjustment-type bars, this one does not sacrifice your on-road control to allow off-road maneuverability. You can choose the amount of force/resistance you desire for your driving conditions. Through the use of a locking mechanism (hub), you can lock or unlock the sway bar completely. When unlocked, there is zero resistance on the sway bar and it moves freely throughout the suspension travel cycle. In the locked position, you also have three options of resistance with the three mounting hole options on the selectable torque arm.

Sorry, I got no info on the swaybar. I'm looking fwd to see what people say about it.

Until you do change your disconnects, I recommend carrying a 1 ft long 2x4. It gives you something to drive up on, so your disco can be re-connected when they don't line up.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

It disconnects, but if you ever forget to disconnect it when you go wheelin the one arm will bend and they will not warranty it. If you can live with it an antirock is simple, durable and works reasonably well

Comment

My dad runs this on his '04 TJ with 4" lift and loves it. I've drove his Jeep with 33s at freeway speeds (70-80) and never had any issues with bump steer and such. When we've went wheeling with it it's been wonderful at the end of the day to just turn the hub and drive off.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

? for TumWeed

This doesn't help RubiKat, but... I run JKS discos on my YJ. Why is it that when I go to re-connect -- sometimes is easy, other times impossible? I know about level ground & passengers out of rig. It's an 89 with a Rancho 2 1/2 in lift -- just age and saggyness? Any other reason?

Comment

I had a teraflex single rate sway bar. It was some times a problem to release, but overall it worked good. I have friends that have the dual rate and love them. I now have the currie because of it's better flex. On the road with the currie I don't notice a difference once you get used to it.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Joe,

before I got rid of my track bar and sway bar on my YJ I had the same problem. Sometimes it lined up perfect, sometimes I needed the 2 x 4, sometimes I needed an extra hand. The sway bar did make a difference on the road, but after getting rid of it I would never go back.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,
                I've actually driven on the road with my sway disconnected and can't tell a huge difference. The only reason I connect is because I'm usually coming either down the mtn from BB or on the hwy from hi-des; and it gives me piece of mind in case I had to swerve/react quickly. And I don't even know if that would be a factor. Joe

Comment

RB's answer

Originally posted by red baron 13 View Post
                  This doesn't help RubiKat, but... I run JKS discos on my YJ. Why is it that when I go to re-connect -- sometimes is easy, other times impossible? I know about level ground & passengers out of rig. It's an 89 with a Rancho 2 1/2 in lift -- just age and saggyness? Any other reason?
                  I don't know the answer to your question. My best guess would be that after a day of wheel'n the springs my be effected by all the flexing. Either for good or for bad.

As for you YJ's comparing your road manners to a TJ or JK, stop it. There is no comparison. When I had my YJ I removed my front sway bar and the thing still cornered like a porsche. Coils with no swaybar is like driving a 65 caddy with bad shocks. We need a swaybar on the street. Otherwise no one is safe.
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Hi rubikat, to be honest if you want "stock like performance" go one of the best the swayloc system, it's adjustable for your on-road needs and completely easy to connect and disconnect off road. http://www.offroadonly.com/products/...oc/index.shtml

It is priced a little higher but you get what u pay for, as with most skyjacker products for jeeps, save your $$$ and buy the right parts one time.

Also take a look at genright they make a good sway bar too.
                    '04 Yellow Rubicon on 40's with 1 Ton's!
                    President - Rubicon4WDA

Comment

My YJ seems to handle just fine without the sway bar on the road all the way up to speeds up about 80 (this is a rare occasion when I'm downhill with F5 force winds at my back); I didn't notice any steering difference until I put a telescopic track bar on and a budget boost... Now I get some bump steer but still nothing I can't run freeway speeds at and feel safe, even when I've had to swerve (specially with the idiots in the rain).

Now I'll shut it since I don't want us YJ folk to steal this thread... We all know "It's Hip To Be Square"
                      USMC F&AM

Comment

The Currie Antirock is a very good system , but it allows for more sway than a dual rate system. I had the Antirock and I really like it, no complaints at all.

I then switched to the ORO SwayLoc, and boy what a difference, the TJ handles like it is on rails. On the LJ, I have the Teraflex S/T and it also performs very well, very nice system.

Dual rate systems are more money, but well worth it IMO. I hope this helps.
                        [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                        X