Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Add A Leaf Ride Quality

Does anyone know anything about how the quality and spring rate (I guess sort of one in the same) are of these "Add A Leaf" kits?? I'm looking at coupling a 2.5 kit with a 2" shackle for 4.5" over all (then hopefully a tummy tuck).

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?
    USMC F&AM

You are not going to be happy with an add-a-leaf. Or a shackle lift or a body lift. You are looking for 4 1/2 inches of lift and a tummy tuck. Which means you want to run 33s and make it over the big rocks. And when you get your add-a-leaf and extended shackle and your 33s you will make it over a few big rocks. But as soon as you do you'll regret ever spending money on this stuff. Because for only a few dollars more you can do it right. And when the rest of your Jeep catches up with your tire size you will not have to do it all over again. Take a look around the www you can find some inexpensive lifts. Ive never been much of a fan of the rough country lifts but they are cheep. Especially considering you will probably spend two to three hundred trying to half ass it. I am sure you could find a friend or two around here that could help you install it. Some of us only charge two or three beers per hour.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
      Some of us only charge two or three beers per hour.

Hey! What are you trying to say?
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I like the two or three beers per hour rate Ya, after posting this up and doing some more research I'm going to just wait, save, and get the Rubicon Express 4" kit... It seems to be the best on the market, and about the most expensive, but ride quality and flex are there from what I can see.
        USMC F&AM

Comment

Good choice. Let me know when you have your parts. I am sure Sean and I can give you a hand. I have all the tools and the driveway in Oceanside.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Will do! Thanks!
            USMC F&AM

Comment

You can gain an inch of upward clearance by trimming the fenders and putting on TJ flares. I run a Rancho 2 1/2" with 3/4" shackle lift and 33's and rarely rub.
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Nice! Tube Fenders are in my future and a 2" shackle lift should be on it this weekend. I was planning to do a 2.5" suspension lift with the shackle for my total lift. As this is my daily driver I want to minimize how drastic I'm changing the springs so that it still rides halfway decent.

Side note: What's 6324?? I was 6317 (Avionics Tech, O Level)
                USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                  Nice! Tube Fenders are in my future...
                  You should check these out.
                  http://modernclassicenterprises.com/?page_id=202
                  Very affordable.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

II wonder how these would hold up when being used as a pivot or just if they slide into a rock. I'm on my phone so can't really check em out much yet but I will look into them more in a bit. Thanks!
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

Chris,
                      In theory, longer shackles and an add-a-leaf aren't a good way to go. But If you are tight on funds, it works. That's what I did. I also did a 1" body lift for a total of 5.5" lift. Would I like RE springs? You betcha! but if I wait till I save the $$ I'd still be stock.

BTW, you'll probably need longer shocks once you go past 2".
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

After everything I've learned here I think I'll wait and get the RE lift in a few months. I want to couple the 2.5 RE lift with a 2" shackle so I get a total lift that's effective but not destroy my ride quality as this is my daily driver.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

Instead of the shackles seriously think about TJ flares in the rear to eliminate tire rub. I have the TJ Xenon flat flares on my YJ and they are great, I have no tire rub at all with 33's.
                          :wink:

Comment

I think I'm going to do tuber fender flares in the rear and just remove the front part of the front fenders along with the flares for a cheap flat fender advantage. I just finished putting the shackle lift on, just need a drop down for the pitman and it's off to Big Bear to test my new set up.
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
                              After everything I've learned here I think I'll wait and get the RE lift in a few months. I want to couple the 2.5 RE lift with a 2" shackle so I get a total lift that's effective but not destroy my ride quality as this is my daily driver.
                              Good choice on the re kit. I had 4 different brands of springs, when I had my yj. You get what you pay for. The cheap springs don't flex much and the ride sucked. I finally spent the money on the re's and was much happier. I had the 4.5" extreme kit and mine was a daily driver. There wasn't much of a difference in ride quality compared with the 2.5. If you really want the taller lift, I say do it 1st and save the time and money, cuz you'll prod end up do'n it later.

Shackle lifts only give you half the lift you think your getting. ei a 2" shackle only gives you 1" of lift. Your only lifting one end of the spring, the other end doesn't move. Therefor half the lift.

Check out t&t customs for tube fenders. There what I run and they're great.

Good luck with your jeep. Building it is half the fun.
                              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                              X