Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth be told go wheel as is when you are being held back by the smaller tires go spend some coin on the stuff needed to make it reliable with 35's
    to do things right it's not cheap, but once done it's quite satisfying

Comment

I wouldnt trust a dana 35 with 32" tires. Did it for a few yrs when i first bought my jeep (before i knew better). Anyways this isnt a rear end thread its a tire size.

when you go from 33's to 35's you really do open a large can of worms. fender rubbing, brake issues, steering issues, gearing, axles, etc.

All i can really say is "try to build it once". trying to 1/2 A55 it and trying to cut corners to get them to work will only cost you more in the end. it's an old statement but very very true. save 700 bucks, get your tires and set them in the garage. put your body lift on, get some tube fenders, then throw that stuff on. dont wheel it yet..... save 700 bucks for the gear change and about a grand for the lockers . THEN start having fun!
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
        I wouldnt trust a dana 35 with 32" tires. Did it for a few yrs when i first bought my jeep (before i knew better). Anyways this isnt a rear end thread its a tire size.

when you go from 33's to 35's you really do open a large can of worms. fender rubbing, brake issues, steering issues, gearing, axles, etc.

All i can really say is "try to build it once". trying to 1/2 A55 it and trying to cut corners to get them to work will only cost you more in the end. it's an old statement but very very true. save 700 bucks, get your tires and set them in the garage. put your body lift on, get some tube fenders, then throw that stuff on. dont wheel it yet..... save 700 bucks for the gear change and about a grand for the lockers . THEN start having fun!
        I agree!! I have 3.73 gears and it works fine with the 33's i have and I agree to do it right the first time, i just need to save some coin to do it right.
        I'm going to call brothers tomorrow and get a quote from them, these guys are great people, I know I probably can find someone to do it for less money but these guys are trustworthy and they are worth every penny.
        Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Comment

33x12.50s are an excellent tire size for a TJ with Dana 30/44 axles, 3.73s, and short arm suspension. You'll get better suspension geometry and articulation, and a lower center of gravity; you'll have more usable power, better gas mileage, and more reliability. 33s are right there at that sweet spot. You pass that threshold, and you have effectively downgraded your mildly built rig. Personally, I'd rather have a little less traction and ground clearance than broken drive line parts. Yeah, the douchebag poseurs will still look down their noses at you from their massive mallcrawlers, but who cares?

I'd forego the gear change and the 35s for now. Spending $600 putting Aussie lockers in your rig would go a lot further towards making it more capable.

I just bought 35s, but I came really close to buying some more 33s. Heck, I considered stepping down to 32x11.50s, since I found some good ones cheap. What can I say, I drank some Kool-Aid, made an offer on eBay, and now I'm budgeting for chromo D30 shafts to hold me over until I can get some real axle beef. But if I wasn't just about to go mid-arm suspension, I would have stayed with 33s despite the Kool-Aid.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

good words.... I agree that a mildy built tj will go really really far.

It really just depends on what you think you intend to do with it and your habits.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
              I try to find and fix my week spots in the drive way not in the desert. TRY being the key word. But going against common knowledge and running 35s on a Dana35 with 3.05 gears is asking for
              trouble.
              Agreed,.. However, like somebody just said about going from 33s to 35s as it was only one inch I was told the same thing when I had 31s and was going to 33s. In my case I searched all over the place for a TJ that had a 44 rear differential for all of the obvious reasons. I have known MANY that had a Dana 35 and ran 35s but most installed a "super 35 kit" which works well too and I have not seen anyone here mention as another option for you. I also ran the stock 3.73 gears with my auto trans for some time while saving for a rear locker and gears. Yes it at times was doggy on the street and during that time I was not as aggressive off road either. All in all,..if you are ready to drop a large amount of money in your rig then go for the gusto like many here have. Otherwise,... stay with 33s and just save your coin for a budget built rig (as I have done before also) that you can do a little at a time. You would be amazed at what a difference one locker will make and still have a boat load of fun...Just my two cents :2:
              PM> sent regarding rear differential
              Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 09-29-10, 05:32 AM.
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2001TJ View Post
                Agreed,.. However, like somebody just said about going from 33s to 35s as it was only one inch I was told the same thing when I had 31s and was going to 33s. In my case I searched all over the place for a TJ that had a 44 rear differential for all of the obvious reasons. I have known MANY that had a Dana 35 and ran 35s but most installed a "super 35 kit" which works well too and I have not seen anyone here mention as another option for you. I also ran the stock 3.73 gears with my auto trans for some time while saving for a rear locker and gears. Yes it at times was doggy on the street and during that time I was not as aggressive off road either. All in all,..if you are ready to drop a large amount of money in your rig then go for the gusto like many here have. Otherwise,... stay with 33s and just save your coin for a budget built rig (as I have done before also) that you can do a little at a time. You would be amazed at what a difference one locker will make and still have a boat load of fun...Just my two cents :2:
                PM> sent regarding rear differential
                I have decided to keep the 33's and beef up the rear end,beef up the axles(superior axles) re gear to 4:56 gears, Detroit locker in the rear and a Detroit locker up front (limited slip)
                I got a quote yesterday from Brothers in Montclair.
                they will be doing the work for me.
                35 are nice but for now i will keep the 33's
                Will see haha

Comment

Originally posted by Fredo View Post
                  I have decided to keep the 33's and beef up the rear end,beef up the axles(superior axles) re gear to 4:56 gears, Detroit locker in the rear and a Detroit locker up front (limited slip)
                  Will see haha
                  Good choice. There is no wrong answer. Only whats right for you. Based on past experience I'd highly recommend a selectable locker for the front. It gives you alot more control up front. There are times that a front locker can be a 'Pain" . Being able to turn it off and on when you need to can, and does, make your day easier.

Good luck
                  It was like that when I got here.

Comment

As far as lockers go detroits are simple but not so friendly, ARB;s and Ox lockers cost more but are easier to deal with on the road and it's nice to rather just turn them on when you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      As far as lockers go detroits are simple but not so friendly, ARB;s and Ox lockers cost more but are easier to deal with on the road and it's nice to rather just turn them on when you need them.
                      But Detroit Lockers are far more entertaining! I would not trade mine for anything else.
                      Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

detroit in the rear and ARB up front. its just that simple!

Comment

Will see haha
                          Personally dont think you need aftermarket axles and a limited slip with 33's. Unless you want extra Insurance.

Comment

Will see haha
                            I'm setup for 35's (Rear D44 has ARB, Superior axles,diff. skid,and trilink set up. Front D44 has Superior inner and outers, stock Rubi air locker,Currie steering,Currie upper link joints and custom track bar. Both axles have 4.88 Superior gears. THANKS FRED/FLATOUT!!!)

However, I'm running 33" KM2's. All the guys in my group run 35"-40" tires. I have yet to NOT be able to go where they go. You just need to read the lines well through the rocks. It's amazing where these Jeeps can go.
                            My Jeep cost's me more than my wife...

Comment

yea if you have the d35 rear i'd spend the money to upgrade that first before putting 35's on. as well as maybe some tube fenders if you don't have them already for clearance so you don't have to bumpstop your uptravel away.
                              College Jeeper on a budget

Comment

If you wanna go where your hommies are going and they are running 40's, you got more to worry about than tire selection my friend. Maybe a refinance on the house to cover your wheeling costs.

Comment

Working...
                                X