Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: 06 Rubicon w/4.5" RX lift.

I got a question if anybody has had some dealing with such a thing. With the Jeep jacked up so both front wheels are off the ground, engine off, column unlocked so the steering wheel can turn freely and I push the wheels to full lock either direction I can feel a slight amount of play, very slight but easily noticable right as it gets to the full turn position. It is clearly coming from the steering box because I can see the pit arm moving but not the shaft going to the steering column/wheel......normal? Just as soon as you turn it from full lock it does not have the free play in it, at center almost impossible to detect, should I worry?
    John & Kristi

It's normal, almost any steering gear has some play near the end of it's travel. They are generally machined so there is almost no play in the center position at full turn there is no real good reason to have it without play

Comment

steering box

hey nipple twister .did you cruise by my house today .thats what i did today to my jeep and i thought i might have an issue .thanks art for clearing it up .

Comment

there are times when the pitman arm will move like art said. but also peek at your tierod ends and your idler arm. if it seems like there is alot of play then u probaly need to replace them. i live on a dirt road and every year i have to replace em. once u get those replaced the amount of play in the gear box should tone down significantly. just my experience.

Comment

ok,.....

...thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if that is normal but now I know and after looking at all other componets everything is tight so no worries....the one thing I did find was the lock nut on that adjustment screw on top of the steeringbox was just barely hand tight so I just snugged it up.

Thanks again fellas for the knowledgable education...
          ...as the saying goes....:shout:"You Rock"...
          John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
          X