Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: New Steering Stabilizer

After tearing off 2 of my low hanging steering stabilizers, I finally got mine relocated to a safer spot. With the huge tie rod set up on the YJ we couldn't fit it in the best place. So I completely threw away the track bar along with the long departed swaybar and now there is plenty of room to relocate that new stabilizer. Ken used the old track bar bracket that he fabbed up after I tore off old original one. It fit perfect. So now it is high, safe and protected. Looking cleaner underneith. So off for a little mall testing and it should be up to a trail test in the morning. Aw the little projects that I can afford seem so nice.

Mitch

Clean fit and finally protected

A little mall rock for a clearance test

Last edited by Mitch; 08-06-10, 05:48 PM.

question for ya Mitch, where did you get the tie rod and drag link for your Yj. Mine are both starting to show some wear and starting to make a little noise, but when i looked around for aftermarket upgrades i am not finding much. The stock replacement stuff is too costly to justify replacing as a quick fix. Looking for a readily available aftermarket upgrade for Yj steering. Usually I find stuff that is listed for tj, zj, xj, mj....dang coil sprung jeeps.
    "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Mitch's mechanic friend build it for him.

Comment

lakev2,

That set up was made for me by my mechanic friend Ken. It is really heavy duty, maybe overkill, but for what I do I doubt I will ever need to replace it and it works perfect.
        1 1/2" x 3/8" tube with one ton ends. I know that are several guys here that are able to fab up anything you need. If you want to check with Ken go to www.thejeepguyonline.com

Good luck on you project.

Mitch
        Last edited by Mitch; 08-08-10, 08:36 AM.

Comment

That location seems like it would affect articulation.
          Prolly not enuff to notice though.

Scott

Comment

Scott,

I had it twisted up and can't tell any effect. No rubbing or scraping. Just a bunch of flexing!
            Last edited by Mitch; 08-09-10, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Dang bro that does look VERY clean..
              "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Mitch that looks real nice n heavy duty! Clean work

Chuck
                I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Thanks guys. It cleaned up the last thing hanging down there. With the flipped u-bolts, relocated rear shock mounts, it just looked better to me. Plus after tearing off the other two stabilizers this should save me some money. I do feel a lot more flex and articulation with the removal of the track bar, but nothing negitive on the street. I've got some dishes to do this weekend so that will be the real test.:wink:
                  Last edited by Mitch; 08-11-10, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Gonna climb the waterfall Mr rocking Mitch?

Comment

Art,

You just never know for sure. Might be time, Code breaker

Comment

Well you and the Applevalley gang have fun on the trail and yes your Jeep should be able to crawl up that just fine

Comment

Mitch, is that a pile of "kitty litter" under your rig? lmao.
                          But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

Comment

Yeah Rich you saw it. Good eye, but the oil leaks are getting smaller. Hopefully the leaks get small along with the kitty pile! LMAO!!!!

Art, Hanging with a different Gang!

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
                              question for ya Mitch, where did you get the tie rod and drag link for your Yj. Mine are both starting to show some wear and starting to make a little noise, but when i looked around for aftermarket upgrades i am not finding much. The stock replacement stuff is too costly to justify replacing as a quick fix. Looking for a readily available aftermarket upgrade for Yj steering. Usually I find stuff that is listed for tj, zj, xj, mj....dang coil sprung jeeps.
                              If you don't get a custom steering set up. Check out bulletproof engineering. Spend the extra cash for the "high steer" version. Its a great kit.
                              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                              X