Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shackle Reversal

I would like to field opinions regarding doing a front end shackle reversal.
    Is it worth doing, only helps on-road handling or ??

Scars are souvenirs you never loose, the past is never far.

Shakle Rever se

I had them on 94 YJ and took them off after a year. Mine were hitting the front bumper and I had to cut a notch in it. They did help with the flexing a little. My springs were flatting out and after I dd a spring over I left them off. Had enough Flex with my new springs.
    George

Comment

Shackle Reversal helps with on road handling but they really are a detriment off road. The purpose of a shackle is to allow the leaf spring to elongate and retract as the spring flexes. Because one side of the spring is attached directly to the jeep the axle will move towards the shackle as it is compressing. So the stock setup is actually moving the axle towards and accelerating into a bump as it compresses. If you reverse the shackle it is the opposite. The shackle reversal causes the axle to slow down and move back as you hit a bump. You can see how this would cause a softer ride. The reason that I say it is detrimental to off road suspension is having the shackle in the back causes you to have a very exposed spot to get hung up on in just about the worst spot. In a shackle forward setup you will be able to slide on and off your leaf springs if you are hung up on a rock. With the shackle to the rear you will hang up on the shackle rather than slide on the spring.

Check out this link for some cool illustrations on how and axle and leaf spring reacts under compression.
      http://www.nyjeepin.8k.com/tech/shackle_rev.html
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I have it on my CJ5 and it works great for driveing trails and the whoops,but like Scott said they are a pain on the rocks.I never got hung up but did drag them a couple times and allways have to keep in mind thier there when going over an rocks.
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Had them on the CJ7 I recently sold. Probably on the rig since 97-98, so quite a bit of time. I was a Hammers regular on that rig until I went buggy. The shackle reversal gave me a much better ride on the freeway and did not wander as much as the stock ones. On the trail I felt they were great. One of the reasons I feel it worked well is that the tire would follow up a rock as the springs compressed, rather than pushing with a shackle in the front. The only issue I really had was that the springs I had on the rig would compress enough that on a steep waterfall the tire would drive into the wheel well. I never addressed, just dealt with it. All in all, I think it is a good modification for a CJ. As more information, I ran a 4 inch spring lift and one inch body lift, with 35 inch tires.
          Rich

Comment

My opinion is if you want a ride like a current jeep get a current jeep, I love my old CJs but must admit my old TJ and my current JK are a lot better on trails than anything I could get a early CJ to do, so Why bother. My CJs ar for trails, light rocks such as Holcomb Creek or John Bull, but I would never take them over the hammers. I admit I used to hit the Rubicon in a 65 CJ5 but would think twice before taking my 67 over it.
            Shackle reversal is not a simple as it sounds, there are issues you never hear about you have to deal with also. Keep them in the front and live with it, it is a classic ride.
            censored for having an opinion

Comment

i dont know what the big deal with a shackel reversal is, the link arms on a coil sprung jeep push the axle forward when the springs compress and no one complains about that. So why is every one worried about it on a leaf spring rig?

Comment

Originally posted by metalenough View Post
                i dont know what the big deal with a shackel reversal is, the link arms on a coil sprung jeep push the axle forward when the springs compress and no one complains about that. So why is every one worried about it on a leaf spring rig?

Because there is something that can be done about it and it is cheap and effective. Also if you follow that link I posted it is explaining how the shackle reversal solves a problem that is created by lifting a Jeep. In a stock suspension YJ and CJ where the leaf springs are nearly flat the shackle and axle both move back under compression. When you use arched(lift) springs you cause the shackle and the axle to do the opposite and change the ride characteristics quite a bit. This is a mater of personal preference. There is no right answer here. Everyone is not worried about it, were just trying to understand it better.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

after rereading my post i realized i came across kind of rude, didnt mean to. on that note i was just stating that when shackel reversal is discused the direction of axle movement is always brought up. imo i prefer shackle forward for a few reasons. Like you stated on a spring with arch the axle moves forward witch in turn places more weight (traction) on the front tires when climbing an obsticle. i know i know, it doesent help with momentum but just like everything it has its pros and cons. Like you said there is realy no right answer.

Comment

Working...
                  X