Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
    For a YJ, there are a limited number of things you can do to enhance your flex without fabbing stuff up.

Start with your shocks.
    The rancho 5000 shocks are garbage, that is why they are like 30 bucks each. try running your jeep over some obstacles with and without the shocks on there and see the difference. You can do this on a leaf sprung YJ.

Be sure your bushings are all very well greased, and not over torqued at the shackles. I kept mine torqued to about 25# using Distorted thread lock nuts.

Disconnect the sway bar for off road, and remove the Track bar or "Pan Hard bar".
    Erik,

Your right, those shocks are pretty much junk! But, in my defence, I got them along time ago when I first got my free lift kit. The price was right and I knew nothing about shocks back then. I will be looking into getting a differnent set of shocks as money permits.

As for the shackels, I made sure not to over tighten them when I installed them and they did come with those distorted lock nuts.

The front sway bar is gone along with the rear track bar and I have the JKS telescoping front track bar that I can unhook when offroad.

All in all it flex's pretty good but, I think what mine needs the most is a new set of front leaf springs! I'd like to eventually go with a set of the RE springs but it's all about the money or lack there of right now.

Scott
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Jason.....I will disconnect and drive it and see how it works out, I am sure it will be fine.Pan hard is already gone already deal with locker walk,so Im sure we can handle a little mushy ride. Nailer I believe your correct, just normal air shocks tied together, going to change them out for good quality shocks.....AV I do have greasable boomerang shackles made by currie. Once again guys thanks.

Comment

Rocked,

I have an 88'YJ and removed the front sway bar, and have the "release type" JKS front track bar. I don't feel any difference without the swaybar oon the road. But it is a huge difference in the dirt. the front shocks are Rubicon Express Mono Shocks that came with my 4.5" kit. I have about 8" up travel and also 8" down travel. Works perfect for me.

Mitch

Comment

Wihout the panhard bar in front, the axle walks side to side in corners. You turn the wheel and the suspension loads up, then a few feet later, it turns. SCARY on road. If you have aftermarket springs with poly bushings, it should be fine to completely pull the swaybar. I never noticed it being gone except for a lot more flex offroad.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Depending on how serious you are about getting more flex and better ride out of your YJ, you might consider dealing with Deaver Spring. They are not cheap, but you will get springs fitted to your rig. They ask for weight for the front and the rear and how much lift you want. They then run through their computer and out pops the answer. Now, another thing to consider would be spring length. One of the guys in my club had Deaver make longer springs for his YJ and gets a much better ride and of course, more flex.

Of course, things get more expensive....bigger tires, lower gears, etc etc. It's a Jeep thing.

http://www.deaverspring.com/
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by avjeepfreek View Post
              I've also been on the "Quest for more Flex!"

Scott check these out. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16050_103.htm Matched with the appropriate length shock you could have some sick flex with the leafs.
              Build it right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by snydercj7 View Post
                Scott check these out. http://www.quadratec.com/products/16050_103.htm Matched with the appropriate length shock you could have some sick flex with the leafs.
                Those provide you fake flex. Not worth the hassle to make them work IMHO.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Those provide you fake flex. Not worth the hassle to make them work IMHO.
                  They allow for the droop that leafs don't typically do keeping the tires on the ground. What is fake about that? The coils on a TJ drop down off the top of the spring bucket creating a similar effect as the leaf becoming unsprung when the shackle opens up.
                  Build it right the first time.

Comment

To get traction, the tire needs weight pushing down on it. When in droop, the revolver shackles are simply allowing the axle to hang lower and are not putting down pressure on the tire.

As Ol Man wrote, good quality multi leaf packs like Deaver, Alcan or Nationals and added spring length are the way to add articulation and traction.

Comment

x3 on Deaver. They did my rear springs and I was very happy with the performance and they are some great guys.

Also the revolvers are not all that great as mentioned. I understand they will also tend to unload on you on steep uphill climbs.
                      Check out .

Comment

Ok, sway bar is gone, a little mushy but no big deal. Pulled up on a rock pile on the job site this morning and I can see a huge difference. Now I am on the hunt for shocks. Here is a couple of pics. of this morning.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That looks Great Rocked! New shocks will definatly help!!

Scott
                          Last edited by avjeepfreek; 06-03-10, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Dont cheap out on the shocks.
                            The 30 dollar ones are no good.

When it comes to shocks, you definitely get what you pay for.
                            ERIK

Comment

Dont cheap out on the shocks.
                              The 30 dollar ones are no good.

When it comes to shocks, you definitely get what you pay for.

That looks Great Rocked! New shocks will definatly help!!

"and don't go with the $30 shocks like I did! get some good ones!"

Scott
                              Ok Erik, I fixed it!

Scott
                              Last edited by avjeepfreek; 06-03-10, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Ok Erik, I fixed it!

Scott
                                LOL- Nice work.

I'll be having some rancho 9000 shocks for sale soon with the in cab controller from a TJ with a 2" BB.
                                ERIK

Comment

Working...
                                X