Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Bump Stops

I recently put on some 37's....... now I'm getting major tire rub. My plan is to do some fender cutting and put on some tube fenders and bump stops to cut down the up-ward travel ( I do not want to do a SOA). I like to keep a low wide profile. Any Cons to putting on bump stops to minimize the up-ward travel? Am I really sacrificing my suspension?
    I'm told by a local 4x4 shop that changing the shocks and mounts out would give me all the down-ward travel necessary and I should be ready to hit the trails with the bump stops in place.

When my CJ was on leafs and 35's I added the Ford shock towers to do exactly that. What axles do you have? 37's on a CJ with stock axles sounds kind of scary to me.
    Check out .

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dirtman........ they are stock axles.
      Front differential Dana 30 / Rear differential Dana 44

Comment

no problem using the bump stops to accomplish that. Christian Hazel fro JP mag. runs a sweet old DJ with little to no upward travel and his rig will go anywhere.
        I've set my cj6 up for little upward travel as well to keep from chewing up the tub/fenders
        Jim

Comment

It's good to hear that others use the bump stops to minimize the up-ward travel. I was trying to fiqure out the pros and cons of doing this, so far I have heard no cons.

Comment

Where are you getting your bump stops at?

Comment

Having some welded up and placed by a local 4x4 shop.

Comment

Originally posted by JeeperYJ View Post
                Where are you getting your bump stops at?
                you can buy extended bump stops from vendors like 4wheelparts, quadratec etc.....they can be bolted into place
                Jim

Comment

I called Rough Country they wanted $5 each. They have the one that goes on the axle (metal) and works with the stock one (rubber). Is there something better?
                  Last edited by JeeperYJ; 04-19-10, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Someone mentioned to me the "Ford shock towers"

Comment

Originally posted by JeeperYJ View Post
                      I called Rough Country they wanted $5 each. They have the one that goes on the axle (metal) and works with the stock one (rubber). Is there something better?
                      that's a good deal if it works for your application, the all rubber units (like Rancho) are $20-25 a piece
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by 66cj6 View Post
                        that's a good deal if it works for your application, the all rubber units (like Rancho) are $20-25 a piece
                        Jim
                        How tall are they? All rubber? I assume they would have to be like 5-6" tall? The factory rubber ones are 2-3" and the metal mount for the axle is 2-3".

Do you have a link?

With these like RC lift someone has to weld them. Curious about what you found.

Comment

I have been told by an old timer that you match the bumpstop to the amount of lift, now this may sound dumb to us in the day of max articulation, but then you wheel a CJ different from a TJ so I can see it making sense, I plan on welding up a set for mine so I can use the stock rubber but down further.
                          Personally I would not want to cut up either of my CJs, If I wanted to cut I would get s TJ, Cjs just are to good looking to cut. But that is my opinion
                          censored for having an opinion

Comment

With these like RC lift someone has to weld them. Curious about what you found.

If you look at those, they are held on by one of the u-bolts. It's a cheap way to do it. As long as the bump stop hits square, it'll work. Having them welded is better.
                            God forgives, rocks don't
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Here's a pic with the 37's.

Comment

Working...
                              X