Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you must have gotten an SYE right? and that didnt come with shocks did it? also after it was all said and done how much was it for that lift including shipping and all other costs.

ive been working and have about 3000 bucks to my name (can you belive the government is taxing me!!?! IM ONLY 15...sheesh)
    Last edited by JeepJunkie; 04-03-04, 11:20 PM.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Well 4.5 sounds good, could it be a good idea to buy used parts?

Comment

$3K should cover lift, SYE/double cardan driveshaft, shocks, a bit of armor, and maybe even tires/wheels depending on how you go.

My humble suggestion is keep saving and start with some really durable armor. There are a lot of reputable builders out there. My wife got the AJ's super rock rails(prob a best buy), but AJ is out now on account of thumb osteo. Skid Row makes a complete suite of XJ skids except no rocker panels yet. There are other builders (Dukes69 (former XJ-wheeler), jim79cj7) on this forum that may be able to offer you a quote.

If you have access to metal shop at school, build up a set of rocker panel guards and gas tank/transfer case/tranny skids. These aren't too hard to build or install yourself. Just make sure the rock rails mount at both the "frame rail" and the pinch seam. Also, make sure they have an extension like the Super Rails, as these will keep your doors off the rocks.

These armor items might not be a bad idea to buy used, but they rarely go on sale as once a driver buys them, they never really wear out or become too small.

That will allow you to save a bit more for the ultimate build-up. In the meantime, you can still wheel yer legacy XJ, without worrying about having to pay the really big bucks (tranny, transfer case, gas tank, rocker panel, door damage).

Lots of websites on how to install this stuff yourself, jeepin.com(lots of XJ stuff) and stu-offroad.com(more TJ stuff, but still great for drivetrain stuff) come immediately to mind. At $45-65/hour, this is where you might be able to save some serious change. This is also facilitated by access to your school's auto shop so that you won't have to hunt down tools. Enroll in shop and see if you can get the whole class to work on your XJ as a class project (see Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer for more details).
        Last edited by jmbrowning; 04-04-04, 08:39 AM.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Thanks, im thinking about buying an arc welder soon any suggestions on that? When i do get it i will hopefully fab my own stuff. Unfortunately my school doesnt have an auto shop:mad: (crazy private schools) I was actually thinking about finding a metal working class at the community college. I also have a friend whos uncle does alot of metal work who shoulda have plenty of tools i could use. Also do you know of any websites that have blueprints of some sort for building your own stuff or would i have to measure it all my self?

THanks Jim, any other suggestions will be greatly appriciated
          B R E T T

Comment

jeepfabrication.com

Most of this stuff is for Wranglers, but it is a good starting point for ideas.

Lots of hilarious XJ stuff from Billavista on Pirate 4x4.com
            Last edited by jmbrowning; 04-04-04, 09:47 PM.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Wheel it stock and learn how it acts on the trails. Spend some money on underbody protection first and lift second. The cash will add up fast so be warned. There is a lot of undisclosed costs in offroading. Bigger is usually better but there comes a time that bigger means a lot of parts changing to accomadate the power and torque to accomodate the bigger parts.

Watch the for sale ads for a used lift to save some money.
              It's a Jeep thing, my wife doesn't understand.

Comment

Drive around the neighborhood or in your case get your folks to truck you around till you find the house with all the 4x4s in the driveway and the pretty blue glow coming from all the garage windows
                when you find said house, go and make friends with the guy operating the welder

Comment

Originally posted by [Fe]weapon
                  Drive around the neighborhood or in your case get your folks to truck you around till you find the house with all the 4x4s in the driveway and the pretty blue glow coming from all the garage windows
                  when you find said house, go and make friends with the guy operating the welder

wow havent seen this thread in a while...

well ive driven around quite a bit and i have seen some nicely built cherokees around my area, now i just gotta make friends with the owners
                  B R E T T

Comment

Working...
                  X