Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add-a-leaf

ok i have so many questions. i asked awhile back about lifting on a budget. a poo boys lift. well i have some more questions. I found the rough country add a leaf $100 for the front and rear. if i do this will i need to replace my shackles to compensate fot the range of lift? I have about $300-350 to work with so i just want to the best i can for what little $ i have. my goal is to replace my tiny 30s for 33s i also have some 255-70 16s but no rims for them i put those tires next to my 30s and they werer like 2 1/2 inches taller so maybe ill just run those for now if I can find some cheap rims.any how any one with the time to advise your input will be greatly appreciated. I live in Ontario and my name is tony call me if you got the time909-908-9167

You won't like the 33"s on you stock CJ till you regear.get some 31"s and wheel it for some idea how you want to build it.the add a leaf worked great on "Roger"s jeep,send him a PM and I'm sure he'll help you out.
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I have done "add-a-leaf" to a few trucks. The lift is based on the condition of your current leafs. So, you could see a 1"-2" lift. You shouldn't have to replace your shackles.

Comment

u dont have to replace the shackles but rc offers a "lifted" adjustable shackle. helps with shackle angle and give a little more height.

Comment

Tony,

The Po-Boy lift works but remember that it will not have the same performance as a "normal" lift with longer springs. But it does work and you most likely can stay within your budget. Or do it in phases as the funds are scrounged up!

Here's my recommendation:

1. The Warrior shackles are easy to do. Buy new bushings when you buy the shackles. You will see that the angle of the pumpkin changes when you lift with shackles. This is not a problem until you do a very high lift, but I won't go into that now.

2. Next I would do a 1" body lift. I don't recommend going any higher with a body lifr, too much begins to happen that I don't think is good. Not everyone will agree with me on this. Again this is pretty easy to do on a CJ. Just make sure you find all the bolts. There's two at the top of the rear wheel wells that can be missed. Don't ask me how I know this

With Three inches of lift, you can easily run 31" or 32" tires on your stock jeep rims. At this point you can still use your stock shocks. Any more lift on the springs and you will need to replace your shocks with longer ones.

3. The final Po-Boy step is doing the add a leaf. Be prepared to possibly fight some frozen bolts since they've probably been on the Jeep untouched for 30 years. You can do the add-a-leaf first with good results, but it requires a bit more work and a pair of second hands.

Also at the final step you should replace your sway bar links with longer ones or your sway bar will not properly work. A lot of guys just remove the sway bar alltogether but if your Jeep's is a daily driver or you will be driving it a long distance to the trail head, I wouldn't recommend removing it.

There's also a debate on changing your pitman arm to a dropped pitman arm at a 4" lift. Most guys say it's not necessary. But when I look at the angle of my drag link at the pitman arm, I think it needs to be changed. I have one on my bench to change out as soon as I get the nerve. Even if you don't change it, you will want to adjust the drag link because now your steering wheel is not alinged properly.

So there you have a total of 5" of lift at a budget. The ride is failry stiff and airing down when on the trail is really a must. I beat the crap out of my Jeep in DV over Thanksgiving weekend by not airing down. I will never do that again.

Also, while under your Jeep, this is a good time to grease all four u-joints on your drive shafts. Check for tightness and look for wear or damage. A little TLC can save a big heartache on the trail.

I hope you find this thread useful and happy trails!
          Last edited by Roger; 12-28-09, 09:00 AM.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

thanks so much roger hopo to see you out there some day

Comment

Your welcome Tony,

There's a run coming this weekend I think posted for Cleghorn which is just up I-15 from you. You should try to go. Start going on trails and get to know your Jeep. I can't stress this enough.
              Last edited by Roger; 12-28-09, 10:03 PM.
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

The advantage to slightly longer shackles is increased leverage on the spring during articulation. This can help with any stiffness from the add-a-leafs. Yes, it does give a bit of lift, but it also adds sideways leverage when cornering or on a side hill. Keep it sane. It also will tilt the pinion yokes toward the T/C. It may help your angles, may push them up and have your angles backwards. (vibration city) The other downside is on the front, it tips your caster forward - causing your fronts to wander and possibly wobble at street/freeway speeds. You can correct up to 2 1/2 degrees of caster with axle pad angle shims, but then make sure you have the threads of the locknut fully engaged on the u-bolts. They're all band-aids, but done safely together they can work to get you where you want to go. It's essentially the way mine is done.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

I had 4" SuperLift Soft Rides and 33" tires for 5 years and the springs settled in. Put in Add-A-Leafs to get that extra lift and the ride quality went out the window.

Just swapped to RE 4.5 lift a year ago..and ride quality is back.

My 2 cent....save the $100 u would spend on add-a-leaf and check the boards for user 4" springs. Your backside will thank you.

Comment

I have a set of 4 RE 4.5" extreme duty springs and Currie shackles available in good used condition.
                    Let me know if interested.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by jeepnsam View Post
                      I had 4" SuperLift Soft Rides and 33" tires for 5 years and the springs settled in. Put in Add-A-Leafs to get that extra lift and the ride quality went out the window.

Just swapped to RE 4.5 lift a year ago..and ride quality is back.

My 2 cent....save the $100 u would spend on add-a-leaf and check the boards for user 4" springs. Your backside will thank you.
                      Jeepensam, I recognise your jeep. Do you work in Carslbad off of Ashton? I think I have seen your Jeep in the parking lot. :hijack::hide:
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                      X