Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would you make LCAs different lengths??

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you make LCAs different lengths??

The question of the day is....

What would the reason be to set front LCAs at different lengths?

Factory mounts on frame and axle.....no custom work that would require such a thing....
    My 06 LJ has the RE Flex arms....all are adj., 4.5 re springs in front
    Few months ago, hit a car with the right front.....collapsed axle bracket.....frame shop did the work
    got steering (currie) and LCAs replaced and a brand new 44 housing from MOPAR....they put everything back on and didn't really think to check it since they are a frame/alignment shop.
    Not to mention they are too long, according to RE themselves....
    I brought it back to frame shop this morning, and of course the guy who physically put them in wasn't there to answer this....but the other guy there says.....'well, due the crown in the roads, we put more caster on that side...so it'll drive straight..." What? :confused2 ok...that's somewhat true.....but come on....On a solid axle?
    So, 3 points have their measurement, and just one control arm, lets just put it at, oh,hmmm, over a 1/4 " longer?? I mean, 4 threads on one, and the other? 8...What the hell man?

Either, the guy's a douche and thought he can 'caster' one side more by 'just extend a control arm'....which by the way they do when the make the axle....or
    they didn't straighten the frame all the way...which I measured to be with in 1/8 of an inch with a tape measure,,,so.. wtf .I don't freakin know.....
    what's your view on it?
    David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
    I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

What little I know about caster angle I learned as it relates to death wobble, not making the car track straight per se. Adjusting control arm length is a legit way of adjusting caster angle. The other way for Jeeps with non-adjustable control arms is to use cam bolts, which basically give the same effect.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

SOmething doesn't add up or is the body shop compensating for something else that is bent. Did they replace the frame side mount or tweak it back into shape?

Comment

Measure from a point on the frame (somewhere in the middle) to the center of the axle LCA bolt. Measure both sides and compare. Measure more then once if there is a discrepancy.

They do build cross caster into axles, but that's done at the inner C's not with the control arms.

Where is the 1/8 inch difference?
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

1/8 is enough to really screw u up think about it just moving the steering whell an 1/8 on the freeway is enough for a lane change. just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by bails85 View Post
            1/8 is enough to really screw u up think about it just moving the steering whell an 1/8 on the freeway is enough for a lane change. just a thought
            1/8 of a steering wheel turn maybe. 1/8 of an inch, no way.
            [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
            SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
            X