Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping Noise from lower Track Bar- Rubicon Express

Hi all, I have a 5.5 RE long arm kit on my 2000 TJ. When i turn the steering left and right, i hear a popping noise. I tracked it down to the lower Track bar bushing.

Does anyone know how much a new bushing for that is and is it difficult to replace?

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by rd3100 View Post
    Hi all, I have a 5.5 RE long arm kit on my 2000 TJ. When i turn the steering left and right, i hear a popping noise. I tracked it down to the lower Track bar bushing.

Does anyone know how much a new bushing for that is and is it difficult to replace?

Thanks for your help.
    It could be that the hole that the track bar bolt goes through has become slightly slotted. I had this happen and I fixed it by taking a washer of the correct size and welding it in place over the hole. Just loosen the bolt and take it out. Tap the track bar out with a hammer if you can't pull it out with out with your hands.

I have found that in general, the stock mounting brackets are not up to the stresses that a long arm lift puts on them if you run anything other than fire roads. I've replaced or repaired four suspension mounts and one shock mount (twice).

If it truly turns out to be a bushing (which I doubt because rubber usually doesn't 'pop'), they are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased for the RE kit at several places including 4Wheel Parts.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

I would do exactly what Mike has mentioned above. Mine isnt too bad yet, but I will DEFINITELY will be replacing it when I do my long arm kit. It gets loose once in a while and screws everything up. I ended up buying a grade 12.9 socket head bolt. You can torque that puppy down more than enough to get the job done. It has not come loose since.

It took me a while to find the bolt, but here is a link to what I am talking about:
      http://www.boltdepot.com/metric-socket-products.aspx
      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X