Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: What Tie Rod and Drag link?

Okay, I've replaced my drag link and tie rod once already with a mildly improved version. Since I have bent both again, it's time to seriously upgrade.
    After a small amount of research, it seems that the best option for a Heavy Duty TJ set up is the Currie Drag Link and Tie Rod.

I looked at the M.O.R.E. option, but they only seem to have a set up for CJs.
    Does anyone have another option for a Heavy Duty Steering set up?
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Mike, currie and a flip kit will do you well.
    The drag link takes a hell of a beating so does the tierod and if it bends it does not collapse you just straighten it in a press. A flip kit works well for getting it a little further out of harms way. Haven;t bend or even really hit it since I did the flip kit.
    Just to bad currie is so damned expensive

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      The drag link takes a hell of a beating so does the tierod and if it bends it does not collapse you just straighten it in a press. A flip kit works well for getting it a little further out of harms way. Haven;t bend or even really hit it since I did the flip kit.
      I would go Currie Mike. Mine has help up well, but you saw that even Currie isn't indestructable. I bent the hell out of the drag link at JV. But it still drives straight and true. Spend the $$ and get Currie.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Get the Currie. I've bent the tie rod then just pressed it back, very beefy and totally a bolt on replacement.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Does Currie make the flip kit too? What does it cost to make this change?

[/COLOR]

Comment

No they do not make the flip kit, PM Steve or Curtis they bought those kits, Steve gave me one

Comment

This from a man that makes his own equipment for body protection.:dunno:
              Make a set yourself and save some$$$$
              Check out .

Comment

You can always try out the ORO crossover system I have in storage. Take my ORO, PLEASE!
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Goferit offroad for filp kit.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                    Goferit offroad for filp kit.
                    Thanks. Now I have lot's of questions.

I looked them up and $20 per side doesn't seem too bad. This needs to be done on both the driver and passenger sides right?

Does the Drag Link angle change significantly? Do I have to do anything special with Drag Link or Tie Rod once I move it up?

It seems like this would eliminate the need for the dropped Pitman. Can I use a stock Pitman after this?

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                      This from a man that makes his own equipment for body protection.:dunno:
                      Make a set yourself and save some$$$$
                      Ha! Sheet metal is easy. I'm not up to speed on Chromoly and threads yet!

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Ha! Sheet metal is easy. I'm not up to speed on Chromoly and threads yet!
                        DOM and welded in bungs. If you cut and prep it, I think you know someone that pretty handy with a hot glue gun.

Comment

If your lift is under 5" you don't need a droped pitman arm. Drag link angle no conflicting change. You flip the drive side only on a currie setup. You have to modify the driver side saybar axle mount.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                            If your lift is under 5" you don't need a droped pitman arm. Drag link angle no conflicting change. You flip the drive side only on a currie setup. You have to modify the driver side saybar axle mount.
                            Driver's side only, that makes more sense that nothing needs to be changed. I think that I'm okay with mod'ing the sway bar links.

Originally posted by Double AA View Post
                            DOM and welded in bungs. If you cut and prep it, I think you know someone that pretty handy with a hot glue gun.
                            So the Drag link can be straight? The stock one has a bend in it on a TJ. If the bars are straight, I might be able to fab my own. I don't have a tube bender.

[/COLOR]

Comment

The currie link is straight. I cut my saybar mount off, installded the flip, and checked the clearance,an welded it back on. may need a little grinding to be right on. also use a 3/4 contersink not a drill.

Comment

Working...
                              X