Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing height in a long arm lift-

I have a 8" Fabtech long arm lift that was on my rig when I bought it. I am looking to drop it a couple inches. Can i just replace the coils and shocks? Are there potential issues with binding other components of the suspension? If so, what is the best way to test it?
    Living the Dream"!
    , Joe

Just try it, then go play on a big rock and see what clears or binds. You would need to change the shocks and most likely the bumpstops

Comment

Got my answer.. It is a simple coil change to drop down 2 inches.
      Living the Dream"!
      , Joe

Comment

don't forget the limiting straps! :beer: otherwise you might loose a coil!
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by chilidipper View Post
          Got my answer.. It is a simple coil change to drop down 2 inches.

Or you could do it ricer style and cut your coils with a torch.:hide:

j/k please dont do this!
          An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

might have to adjust front sway bar links also, maybe.... rear pinion angle too. But like ^^ said, go drive it around a bit and see how it feels.
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Did you get coils with a similar free length but different rates? this could reduce the ejecting coil possibility

:beer:
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

After swapping the springs you will need to "tune the bumpstops" basically means to make them smaller, also the shocks will need to be replaced to shorter shocks, you will bottom those ones out and blow them, next you will need to check all the sterring geometry and see if it all works, a new pitman arm will probably be needed as with 8 inches I am sure yours is a dropped style one. After that you need to make sure your pinion angles are correct and then check your driveshaft length, if they are too long then you can damage your transfer case by jamming the output shafts inward cracking the case of bending a shaft. Limiting straps will need to be put on so that you do not lose a spring. Once this is looked at check to see if you get binding from those long arms, you may be stuck with them as they most likely cut off the short arm mounts but if they bind, look around for some short arms and new mounts.
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                  . Once this is looked at check to see if you get binding from those long arms, you may be stuck with them as they most likely cut off the short arm mounts but if they bind, look around for some short arms and new mounts.
                  Trade ya my short arms for some longarms :hide:

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                    Trade ya my short arms for some longarms :hide:
                    they wanted to know of complications, I only listed them
                    oh, by the way I will trade you any long arms I ever own for short arms. Long arms suck
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                      . Long arms suck
                      care to elaborate?

Comment

Working...
                      X