Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf main I bolts.

I’ve never seen this happen before but, I was under the jeep last night and I noticed one of the nuts came off my front passenger leaf main I bolt. The bolt started walking out. It was late so I put it off one more day.

Is there a trick to getting the bushing lined up so I can get the bolt back in? I messed around with the jack trying to get it to line up with no success.

Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

BFH. Just pound that sucker back in, put a nut on it, and it's all good. 10 minutes, tops (that includes finding a nut).
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

I have had this problem before........There isn't an easy way to do this with the front shackle still attached. I have struggled with this before (floor jacks & ratchet straps) and ended up having my 200lbs, 6' tall son hang on the end of a 4' pry bar that was inserted into the front shackle. Not the easiest or safest thing to do.....

Unless somebody else has an easier method.....I would unbolt the front shackle and re-assemble the whole thing.

P.S. In order to cure the ever loosening bolt issue, I ended up drilling a hole in the threaded end of the bolt and putting a cotter-pin through it.
      Money pit!

Comment

I have the same skid plate as you. Try putting a washer of appropriate size & thickness in between the frame and the skid plate. I have long suspected that the skid plate leverages against the nut as the frame flexes and loosens it over time.
        Money pit!

Comment

Easiest would be to undo the shackle end first. I've never had mine walk out, but my buddies did on his YJ.

Comment

I recommend that you replace the bolt & nut. It looks a little rusty.

As you install the new one, use the old one on the other side as a drift pin to help line it up. A large pipe wrench on the leaf spring can be used as leverage also to get it all lined up.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

if you dont want to take it all apart, try getting a line up bar (or a an appropriatly tapered punch) and tap that in from the other side. Then take an impact or ratchet and push HARD on the bolt while turning it clockwise. At the same time keep moving the bar to align the bolt, bushing and other side of the main EYE box. As the bolt grabs and catches work the bar back out. Take the nut off the otherside, and go get 2 new nuts. Top locks if you can, nylock if not, and another back up would be nice. I do like the cotter pin idea as posted by PDW. Why dont you go one better and get a castle nut? You can do it!
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Looks like Ill be at fastenal on Saturday morning. I may have driven all the way home from Calico like this.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Theres one in carlsbad! kinda in the weird centers by deli wishes!
                  An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

I got my main EYE bolt in and a nylock nut on it. I had to take the skid plate off for now. We used a ratchet strap, a BFA, and two jacks to get the bolt lined up. Thank you for all the help guys.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Bfa?????
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        Bfa?????
                        Oops. That's just some iPhone auto correct nonsence. I ment BFH
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I was trying to figure out how you fixed it with a "Big F***ing Axe!!
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

A good set of coilovers should fix that problem!
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Some Big Friggen Arms!

The beach its thaaat way --->

Leafs never have problems what?

Comment

Working...
                              X