Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift for tires

Anyone know if I do an SOA on my Jeep that I would be able to put on some 37's? I heard that an SOA would give me approx. six inches of lift.
    Thanks for your feedback

I have a 4" lift and my 33" tires rub on the trail. I am adding a 2" body lift. Making it 6" lift. I know the SOA you usually use your stock springs. So, I would have to say that it depends on the condition of your springs. I heard 5-6" as well though. Better have a good gear ratio and motor to pull 37" tires. Not to mention some good brakes if you drive to the trails.

I also know someone who can do the SOA if you want. PM me.

Just my :2:

Comment

I'm running stock gears powered my a tired IL-6 (258). Would there be much difference if I were to run 35's?

Comment

You didn't ask about the SOA, so I'll assume you know about axle wrap and how to deal with it.

Your stock narrow track axles are too narrow and too weak for 37" tires. Even with CM shafts and good U joints.

If you swap axles to something wider and stronger you'll need to cut the wheel wells and run TJ flares. Some massaging with a single jack will also be needed. A brake and steering upgrade is also mandatory.

37's need an axle ratio of 4.56 minimum. Spinning larger axles and gears along with 80+ pound tires, added rolling resistance and 8" total lift will really take it's toll on your 258.

37's are a lot of tire for a CJ5.

Comment

x2
          35" is max I would think.

Ron

Comment

So I'm guessing with 35's I don't need to worry about gear changing or axle swapping? If that's the case it sounds much more affordable. I have a traction bar already in-place so axle wrap should not be a problem.

Comment

What gear ratio do you have? The rear track track bar? I removed that on mine. The ride improved 100%!

Comment

Buy some wheel spacers and try to borrow a 35" tire and rim from someone or buy a POS from a junk yard, put your CJ at as close to ride height as possible, and check your clearances everywhere, including the frame and tub. Then lower your Jeep to where you think the bump stops will be at and check again. Without a forklift it's difficult to simulate full drop on one side and full compression on the other so you'll just have to guess until you're actually lifted and can get on some rocks. At that point you may need to adjust the bump stops, add limit straps, trim some sheet metal and limit your steering stops.

Don't forget to budget in brake lines, two new drive shafts with CV joints, brake and steering upgrades, CM shafts and good U joints. For 35's you need gearing at a minimum of something in the 4.30 range if it's available for your axles.

The narrow track and short wheel base of a CJ5 is a just isn't a good combination when coupled with a lot of lift and tall tires. CJ5's are great, but they do a lot better with spring under, wheel spacers and 33's. JMO.

Comment

I'm not sure what gears I'm running, all I know is that it's stock Dana 44's. Will I need to change gear ratio for the SOA?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                    I'm not sure what gears I'm running, all I know is that it's stock Dana 44's. Will I need to change gear ratio for the SOA?
                    Not for the SOA but for the tire size.
                    33"-4:10-4:56 is good
                    35"-4:56-4:48 is good

Comment

well i dont know about you guys but on my stock xj i put a 4.5 rc and 32 tires and now am way under geared. thing is a gutless wonder. not to mention my tired tranny blew up. 37 inch tires are alot. plus you have to think about your height and your center of gravity. dont want to be top heavy. also brakes and steering and other upgrades. better think hard about it and decide if 37 inchers are what you really want to go with. i wanted to run 35s but after putting on 32s im happy. plenty of height and less worries. however i live up int the desert and there are a few guys who are i guess in a group called "off road revolution" i talked to them a few times and one guy has 37 inch on his rig and says its fine. i didnt go to far into conversation with him but his rig looked kinda mickey moused. he had a 4.5 lift with double 2 inch spacers on. but not to bad mouth any one. it seemed to work for him.

Comment

If you go for a SOA you will automatic get 6' of lift plus the springs depending on what you have can give you another 2' to 4'. This would be more then enough for 37' tires, but beware and please take advice from the other guys, that it is a lot of tire and that’s what starts breaking things. Unless your Jeep is well equip with the proper drive train, then I say go for it. Just my :2:

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
                        Anyone know if I do an SOA on my Jeep that I would be able to put on some 37's? I heard that an SOA would give me approx. six inches of lift.
                        Thanks for your feedback
                        Last edited by Drewminator; 09-22-09, 01:48 PM.
                        Drew
                        95yj Six Pack

Comment

35s vs 37s ?

Originally posted by Jeep4cern View Post
                          Not for the SOA but for the tire size.
                          33"-4:10-4:56 is good
                          35"-4:56-4:48 is good
                          As far as gearing goes... you said you are running Dana 44s ? MINIMUM would be 4.56 for 35s and and 4.88 for 37s. In fact (37s on 84 inch wheelbase...tippy ?) if you are going to be running 37s if it was me I would consider running 5.13s This is as steep as you can go with Dana 44s. I had 3.73s in my TJ and when I went to 4.56 gears with my 35s it is like being back to stock ratio wise. My speedometer was back to normal and so on. Also, unless you are planning on spending big money on part upgrades and are ready to start breaking crap on trails...??? Do not go bigger than 35s. Aside from taxing the hell out of that old motor is all the extra cash out of pocket really worth gaining "ONE" more inch of clearance. I myself would love to go to 37s and have the room to do so. But I know that is the difference between having what is for the most part a very reliable and capable rig to the begining of problems and my wallet being tapped hard as well.
                          Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 09-24-09, 04:01 AM.
                          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Yes easily, I know a lot of guys back home running that setup with 40s. But back there we dont mind trimming the fenders to keep a looooooooowwwwwww cog. (I ran 36" swampers on 3" of lift on a 4 door xj.) On a cj though put TJ flares on that opens up your fender wells substantially

Comment

I run a SOA Cj with 37s with lots of other mods. With a stock CJ I would stick to 35s for any number of reasons (breakage, clearance, travel, etc.) Also, with 37s on stock axles you will loose some of your turning radius as the tires will prevent you from having full lock-to-lock turning. If you add lift springs or shackles to raise your CJ for 37s, you will have a very tippy high COG machine.
                              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Working...
                              X