Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway Bar Disconnects

I have vastly increased my knowledge on Jeeps and suspension components since I first joined the site, but I was wondering is it dangerous have your sway bars disconnected? Can you tip easier? Thanks

You want to hook them up on the freeway, if you look at the cleghorn run pictures and the ones of the rolled Jeep swerving on the dreeway with them disconnected leads to a nice highspeed roll not a good idea

Comment

Driving on the road/highway with your sway bar disconnected is perfectly safe.

UNLESS, you have to do any hard braking/hard turning at speed or a combination of both. Then, you are driving; a big top heavy brick that's body is disconnected from the frame and axle.

Be a good way to test your cage and airbags...

Comment

If you want to test things out, PM me for my number so I can make sure my family is off the highway

Comment

Chris,

All you need to do is replace your coils with leafsprings! Most YJ owners don't use them and or have them removed. Keep them on your TJ when you are on the road.

Mitch

Comment

Ditto on Mitch's comment.
            If you got coils run with the sway bar.

my:2:

Scott

Comment

Keep your sway bars connected on the pavement especially. I don't currently have brackets on my axles to attach the sway bars. (I was hoping to weld on my new Poly Performance brackets today, but they just won't work with coils and shocks--anyone with coilovers want to buy them?).

The other day, I drove my Jeep down the hill for the first time in weeks, and while on the 79, some idjit decided to pull out about 40' in front of me. His lane was about stopped and mine was doing about 50, so needless to say, I had to take some fast evasive maneuvers. I had to swerve to the left and and back to the right--perfect setup for a flop. Man, my tires were barking and squealing like a dog on pig fight (been there too), and if I wasn't up on 2 shoes for a moment, I was real close; I could have easily laid it on its side. Needless to say, I was pissed, and let dude know it; he got back in his lane. Moral of the story, Jeeps have sway bars to keep them from flipping in situations exactly like that. I was fortunate.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                Keep your sway bars connected on the pavement especially. I don't currently have brackets on my axles to attach the sway bars. (I was hoping to weld on my new Poly Performance brackets today, but they just won't work with coils and shocks--anyone with coilovers want to buy them?).

The other day, I drove my Jeep down the hill for the first time in weeks, and while on the 79, some idjit decided to pull out about 40' in front of me. His lane was about stopped and mine was doing about 50, so needless to say, I had to take some fast evasive maneuvers. I had to swerve to the left and and back to the right--perfect setup for a flop. Man, my tires were barking and squealing like a dog on pig fight (been there too), and if I wasn't up on 2 shoes for a moment, I was real close; I could have easily laid it on its side. Needless to say, I was pissed, and let dude know it; he got back in his lane. Moral of the story, Jeeps have sway bars to keep them from flipping in situations exactly like that. I was fortunate.

One of my favorite saying is "prepare for the worst and hope for the best". You just never know. So, on the highway, I leave mine on.

Comment

Or run a antirock, not as good as stock, but adequate for on the road and flexes fine offroad nothing to disconnect or fiddle with

Comment

Working...
                  X