Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at This

I just recently had some LongLeafs put on my Jeep from a local 4x4 shop. The mecanic builds some pretty extreme 4x4's including one of his own, but I'm a bit confused on the angle of my shackles.... The manual said the fromts should be at 6 o'clock (straight up and down) but the guy at the shop said that they should be in the angle (shown in pictures). I'm getting some major swaying going on, almost as if I had no shocks. Can anyone tell me if the angle is correct or not.
    Thanks,
    Dave

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My .02
    The reason for the shackles are to give the ability for the leaf spring to "flatten" out when compressed. When they are compressed, the arch flattens, lengthening the springs...the shackles move forward to allow this flattening process. Since your leaf springs appear fairly flat (not arched like for a lift), it will probably be ok. I personally would like them at not such an angle.

Comment

they are fine.
      you'll have some sway with those long springs. get a sway bar.
      cut off the old mounts, and make sure the shackles aren't bottoming out when the wheels are stuffed.
      you might also look into some boomerang shackles for the front to prevent them from inverting.

you might want to confirm brake line length as well as shock length as the longer springs will allow a lot more flex.
      have fun
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

One more thing.... With the new leavesprings I now get some tire rub, and at one point going over a little dip in the trail the tub actually hit the top of the rear drive line. but that was with two passengers in the back. Thanks for all the feedback,
        Dave

Comment

They will work just fine the way they are. However, I mount mine so they are straight up and down giving me more room for compression. The only way for you to fix this is to relocate the outer hanger (not the inner it will change axle position).

As for the tire rub and more importantly the axle bump you should look at your bump stops. They are most likely the stock one's and may need to be extented to stop the travel before the axle can contact.

Comment

Working...
          X