Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Trac bars really necessary?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been told by some friends that it is recommended to install Rear and front adjustable trac bars on the RC 3.25 Lift.
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_3.html
    I noticed that the front RC trac bars only fits lifts from 4" to 6"
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1085.html
    The rear RC trac bar fits stock to 6" Lift
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1086.html
    Does anybody know if the front RC trac bar also fits the 3" and up lift OR should I go with JKS?
    For this height of lift is it really necessary to install these trac bars.
    Once again..I am just making sure I get what I need. I don't want to find out at the last minute that i need something else for my lift to make it work right.
    oh..adjustable arms will come later
    Thanks
    Fredo

This is a pretty basic kit. You might want to wait and get a more complete kit.
    Looking at the install instructions you have to drill a new hole in the front trackbar axle mount to re-center the axle and the rear has a drop bracket. Not the best way to go.
    Adjustable trackbars are easier to work with centering the axles. I have a front RE I don't use or need but you'll have to drill the frame mount which I wished I didn't do. Made it tough to replace it but I went with a Currie JeepSpeed and had to drill the axle mount for a larger bolt. Are you sure you want to do this?

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

Doing budget lifts get s just that, a budget lift
      I would look for a kit that address the control arms and has a new rear track bar tower.
      Also I would look into a SYE kit at the same time and purchase a belly up kit. At over 3 inches drive line vibration is going be an issue, plus lowering the transcase takes away from the reason you are lifting, for clearance. Best thing would wait and save a few more dollars and get a kit addressing a few more items, nothing is worse than driving a vehicle half built that needs other items addressed to make it correct.
      Just my 2 cents
      censored for having an opinion

Comment

Rock Krawler

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
        Doing budget lifts get s just that, a budget lift
        I would look for a kit that address the control arms and has a new rear track bar tower.
        Also I would look into a SYE kit at the same time and purchase a belly up kit. At over 3 inches drive line vibration is going be an issue, plus lowering the transcase takes away from the reason you are lifting, for clearance. Best thing would wait and save a few more dollars and get a kit addressing a few more items, nothing is worse than driving a vehicle half built that needs other items addressed to make it correct.
        Just my 2 cents
        I have been banging my head for the past month or two.
        I don't want to spend to much and at the same time I want to get a decent lift.
        I'm not planning on rock climbing or anything crazy.. because it is my daily driver and I tow it in back of my RV. I just want to run a few moderate trails and streams,mud etc.
        So I really don't need anything to crazy.
        You are about the tenth person that has told me to basically look at a more complete lift.
        So I am going to take the advice and now I am looking at the Rock krawler lift..its not to basic and the only thing that I might need in the future would be the upper control arms and SYE kit.
        http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true
        I'm not sure on the shocks..Maybe Rancho or Bilstein Shocks not sure.
        So for now (last night I made this decision)
        This will be the plan..It's going to cost me a lot more then the RC kit but I think I will be happier and best thing of it all the wife agrees!!
        Thanks for the advice.
        Fredo

Comment

I know your pain lol mine was and is a daily driver.
          Went from this

To this, I still drive it every day and it tows great.
          It lost a bit of fuel milage but not all that much it still gets 17-18 mpg on the highway and gives me lots of fun every weekend

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            I know your pain lol mine was and is a daily driver.
            Went from this

To this, I still drive it every day and it tows great.
            It lost a bit of fuel milage but not all that much it still gets 17-18 mpg on the highway and gives me lots of fun every weekend

Thats too funny.
            I will be posting pics once its complete.
            Thanks for everything.
            Fredo

Comment

I Can Handle Things! I'm Smart!

Comment

Originally posted by smashcoast View Post
                I Can Handle Things! I'm Smart!

Good for you!

Comment

i have a 4.5 inch lift and i just got two drop brackets to compinsate for the lift it came out to 40 buck one on top one on bottom make sure the total hit is equal to for inches or itll be off

Comment

Great shots! Really nice.. Fredo, your the man. I'm really amazed with your car.

Comment

ok i can help

i put a 4.5 rc lift on mine. and u r right about not needing it on thee 3.5 lift. its just more fancy stuff to add. what i did with mine is i boughjt the lift but the added the lower control arm drop brackets and the adjustable upper arms and track bar later. it didnt really make a difference. what u can do though is buy the adj. track bar and only use the bracket it comes with and use your stock track bar. this eliminates drilling the hole. but to be completely honest with you you dont need to worry about it until you hit a min of 4.5 in of lift. i ahve the whole set up on my rig which i paid for. i could have saved a few hund had i known a little more. the only thing i like about all the "extras" is that it looks cool. my frind and i have the same setup but he mocked his from mine and built his own. doenst have half the stuff but still rides and climbs the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X