Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Finally decided..

I finally decided on the lift and tires that I will be installing on my TJ this August.
    I just need a little help with rim size.
    The lift will be the Rough Country 3.25
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_3.html
    Tires: 33 12.50 BF Muds
    Rims:
    Pro Comp Rock Crawler Steel Wheels
    I don't want the tires to stick out to far but at the same time I don't want to rub..any suggestions?
    Help with this would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Fredo

I have the same wheels in 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing. Works well for my 33's. I'm pretty sure that's the size most places will recommend.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Originally posted by Fredo View Post
      Tires: 33 12.50 BF Muds
      Rims:
      Pro Comp Rock Crawler Steel Wheels
      I don't want the tires to stick out to far but at the same time I don't want to rub.

I agree what Justin has, for not having rub issues on 33's, 3.75 BS should be Ideal. (minimum)

Comment

Sounds good..Thank you
        Fredo

Comment

I just want to make sure..are these it?
          http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Ro...21&t_pl=100347

Comment

Sorry..
            Part Number: PCW52-5865
            15x8, 5 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern
            Backspace = 3.75 in.
            Max Load = 1600 lbs
            Finish = Black Powder Coat

OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Fredo View Post
              Sorry..
              Part Number: PCW52-5865
              15x8, 5 on 4.5 Bolt Pattern
              Backspace = 3.75 in.
              Max Load = 1600 lbs
              Finish = Black Powder Coat

OK?
              Yes. That's them.
              "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Thank you, Just wanted to make sure.
                Fredo

Comment

Hey Fredo, I appreciate the fact that you're going for the budget setup; just realize that sooner or later you're going to want to upgrade your control arms and probably some other suspension stuff. That's part of a discussion I contributed to in another thread. My bro had a 3" budget lift with 33" Pro Craps and his ride sucked, and eventually developed a shimmy, then death wobble. The only thing that cured it was upgrading the control arms. Keep an eye out and you might find a good deal on some.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

invert"D
                    I was planning on the 3"Budget Lift at first.
                    I changed my mind..( due to comments like yours)I am going with the 3.25 Lift by RC.
                    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_3.html
                    I have heard nothing but good things about this lift.
                    Most likely as I go along, I will be changing things little by little but for now with the lift,Tires and rims Ouch!
                    I should be happy for now.
                    Fredo

Comment

I've been wondering about those progressive coils myself; I think my front coils are getting tired. I'm not saying the components aren't quality; I'm referring to it as a budget lift because it doesn't include control arms, track bar or drop bracket, shock relocators, etc. I say go for it; just gain an awareness of what that kit lacks, and pounce on the deals when you find them.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Changed my mind

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                        Hey Fredo, I appreciate the fact that you're going for the budget setup; just realize that sooner or later you're going to want to upgrade your control arms and probably some other suspension stuff. That's part of a discussion I contributed to in another thread. My bro had a 3" budget lift with 33" Pro Craps and his ride sucked, and eventually developed a shimmy, then death wobble. The only thing that cured it was upgrading the control arms. Keep an eye out and you might find a good deal on some.
                        I thought that I "Finally made up my mind"
                        After all the advice I have been given from everybody on this forum..I decided to look at another lift.
                        I am not planning on Rock Climbing or any thing crazy, Just Moderate trails a few streams and a little bit of fun in the mud. I use this jeep as my daily driver plus I tow it in back of my RV.
                        So the lift that I am looking at is called ” Short Arm Flex Suspension System by Rock Krawler
                        It's not a full complete kit but its not a basic kit like the RC kit.
                        The only thing that I can see that this kit is lacking is the upper control arms and the slip yoke but i can purchase that later. Also this kit doesn't come with shocks so I might go with the Rancho or the
                        Bilstein Shocks. hummm? http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true
                        This kit is going to cost me more then the RC lift but I thing I will be happier.
                        Thank you for all the advice and I hope this might be it!!
                        Fredo
                        Fredo

Comment

Ha that is what everybody says lol
                          Jeeps tend to grow on you and somewhere a long the line things get a bit more out of hand.
                          good choice and even with the stock upper control arms it will ride good and flex fine.
                          Looks to me like a good start, there is one question you should ask though, I saw johnny joints on one end of the control arm which is a good start. The question you should ask is how hard it would be to replace the other end of the control arm with a johnny joint down the road.
                          Last edited by aw12345; 06-18-09, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Fredo, please don't get me started about shocks again. Just get Bilstein 5100s . Personally I like this kit a lot better than the Rough Country kit. With regard to what Art (aw12345) said, both ends appear to be replaceable, so if you wanted to upgrade to a Johnny Joints or similar on the bushing ends, you could do it. You can also buy whatever shocks you want, so get Bilstein 5100s.

You're also not paying for a transfer case drop kit you may not need, and in any case, don't want--unless you plan on using your crossmember/ skidplate for grading and excavation.

I'm glad you've finally come to terms with the fact that you've got the Jeep upgrade bug. Wheeling will, in all likelihood make it worse...
                            Last edited by inVERt'D; 06-18-09, 04:33 PM.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                              Fredo, please don't get me started about shocks again. Just get Bilstein 5100s . Personally I like this kit a lot better than the Rough Country kit. With regard to what Art (aw12345) said, both ends appear to be replaceable, so if you wanted to upgrade to a Johnny Joints or similar on the bushing ends, you could do it. You can also buy whatever shocks you want, so get Bilstein 5100s.

You're also not paying for a transfer case drop kit you may not need, and in any case, don't want--unless you plan on using your crossmember/ skidplate for grading and excavation.

I'm glad you've finally come to terms with the fact that you've got the Jeep upgrade bug. Wheeling will, in all likelihood make it worse...
                              I did some more research and Bilsteins will be the way to go.
                              I will be posting pics once it's complete.
                              Four wheel parts wants to charge me $560.00 for the lift installation and $120.00 for the alignment job.
                              I think that's a little to much.:bonk:
                              Ron -Jeep4cern knows of a couple of people that might give me a good deal:thumbs_up

Thanks for all the advice.
                              Fredo

Comment

Working...
                              X