Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ: What Year XJ Cherokee?

What year did the Cherokee come out with fuel injection, 4.0, and computer? Looked at the 86 on Craigslist, but it was non computer, 2.8 V-6? What kind of can full of worms would I be getting into, to upgrade it to the 1991 standards? Anybody knows? Kevin.

I wouldnt even touch that GM V-6. Its worthless.

The 4.0 first came out in 87. The 87-90 are RENIX 4.0s. Controlled by a renault/bendix computer.

after that 91-2001 are 4.0 High-Outputs (which essentially are more powerful)

The best year Cherokee you can get is a 99. It has an HP D30, and it has the best intake manifold(more power). Theres a couple more good things about it as well...

Im pretty sure that V-6 came with an A904 (auto) or an AX-5 (manual), which both arent that great either, and the engine bay is a little different so IIRC, throwing a 4.0 in there and a better tranny isnt too easy.

I have a 90 and have no problems with the RENIX at all. Lemme know if you have any other questions, id be glad to help.

Heres a couple things you could read up on as well if youd like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ)
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/40.html
    hhtp://www.naxja.org/forum

HTH
    Last edited by swbooking; 05-21-09, 09:37 PM.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Kevin are you thinking about swapping the engine and trans out of Carlos's XJ?
      If so the determining factor would be the front axle.
      You would want a HP dana 30 with regular axle shafts I saw a 2.8 at the junkyard and that thing had cv shafts in the front axle. Don't know if that would swap out
      By the way wha's going on with Roadway express I am hearing rumors that are not good at all

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
        The best year Cherokee you can get is a 99.
        Ditto Ditto
        1999 [color=red]Jeep[/color] Cherokee Sport 4X4 4DR
        1999 [color=white]Jeep[/color] Cherokee Sport 4X4 2DR DD

Comment

Alan pretty much covered it, there's lotsa XJ's out there. Keep checking CL and be ready to move on a good deal.

Are you going to swap anything from Carlos' rig to the new rig?

Comment

Just bought a 87 XJ for my son to help him out. His new toy the transfer case took a dump. By staying year specific, he got a good deal, and were going to strip it out for the parts. Super lift, lift? Transfer, engine, tires, wheels, glass, heater motor,dana 44, everything. The body was bobbed, so not interested in it. Just missed a 91 XJ for Carlos by this much. By staying year specific, will be able to use computer,which is different between the years. When I find the right one for Carlos, we will get him going again. plenty of room in my trailers, soon we'll have to start dealing in XJ parts, Kevin.

Comment

I wouldnt run a superflift...

The only companies to look at for XJ suspension are:

Rubicon Express
              TnT Customs
              Clatyton's Offroad
              Full Traction
              Rock Krawler

Never ever buy a Rusty's product.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
                I wouldnt run a superflift...
                The only companies to look at for XJ suspension are:
                Rubicon Express
                TnT Customs
                Clatyton's Offroad
                Full Traction
                Rock Krawler
                Never ever buy a Rusty's product.
                The Skyjacker RR front end is a great product. Ive installed 3 of them.
                1999 [color=red]Jeep[/color] Cherokee Sport 4X4 4DR
                1999 [color=white]Jeep[/color] Cherokee Sport 4X4 2DR DD

Comment

Working...
                X