Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift questions for YJ

Hi all

I recently purchased a stock '93 Wrangler. We do some mild to moderate off-roading. I am interested in putting a 3 to 4 inch lift on it and getting some 33's. My questions are:

(1) What is the least expensive way to do this right? (2) Is there any body or place in the Apple Valley, California area who could install a lift for me?

Thanks a lot!

Ken Sockwell
    Musiken

Re: Lift questions for YJ

Originally posted by musiken
    Hi all

I recently purchased a stock '93 Wrangler. We do some mild to moderate off-roading. I am interested in putting a 3 to 4 inch lift on it and getting some 33's. My questions are:

(1) What is the least expensive way to do this right? (2) Is there any body or place in the Apple Valley, California area who could install a lift for me?

Thanks a lot!

Ken Sockwell
    Musiken
    Hey Ken, I'm Sandra I live up here in Hesperia. Try Hard Rock Off Road in Hesperia. PM me or king4wd (my husband, Tom). They install lifts and he is a member of the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers.
    1993 Wrangler Black, 4" ProComp Lift, 33s.
    Glad to be back in California!

Comment

Save some money and do it your self all you need is a floor jack, jack stands and basic tools. just order a kit from one of the companys. I had a 4 inch Skyjacker softride and it preformed great. I run with a SOA set up now but I do heavy duty four wheeling.
      75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Originally posted by musiken
        Hi all

Thanks a lot!

Ken Sockwell
        Musiken
        the lift itself is pretty easy to install yourself. half a day and some typical tools. as far as lifts go... i recommend the re lift [rubicon express] they ride nice, and flex well. i have the pro comp on mine.. but you have to really stretch these springs out to get them to flex right.
        you need the springs, drop pitman arm, shims for pinion angle, bushings. relocate your brake lines or buy the fancy ones for $100.00
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

In Addition, Dont for get a Slip Yoke Eliminator. At that height you'll need it. Or you could get a t-case drop, but that un-does what you just did . . . a step backwards.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

With a 4"+ lift and 33's on a YJ you will have driveline issues in the rear. As mentioned a SYE and new rear driveshaft will be needed. This will add over $500 to your total cost. (something to think about).

I run the RE 4.5" Lift and offroading with it before the SYE/driveshaft wasn't even an option.

I rub my YJ flares pretty bad with the 33's, so if you are thinking about a smaller lift, you'll need a pretty decent body lift (2-3") to run 33's or you could always drop the tire size down to 32's or 31's.
            [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
            AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
            15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
            33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
            FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
            Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
            RE Hand Throttle
            Optima Red Top
            K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your input on my potential lift. You've given me some food for thought. I think I'll do so more research and try to see/ride in some Jeeps that have what I want.

Ken

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are going to wait and explore your options before diving into a lift.

I'd suggest checking out the trail runs section of the forums and going on a run with some MJR people.

Most trips can be done with stock Jeeps so you can play around with your own jeep on the trails as well as check-out what others are running on their rigs to give you some ideas of what you might want to do to your own rig.
                [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                RE Hand Throttle
                Optima Red Top
                K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Another option to think about that I understand is quite popular is to use the stock springs and do a spring over axle lift. In some ways it is cheaper and keeps a relatively soft ride. However, there is a considerable amount of work to do to keep it really streetable as far as the front end is concerned. Plus a SYE is crucial immediately. I think there might be some welding involved as well.

Brice
                  '95 YJ
                  '95 YJ 4 banging powerhouse.
                  www.longtallsally.50megs.com

Comment

Working...
                  X