X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locator pin question

Vehicle: 93 YJ
    Suspension: 4.5" R.E. lift

Problem: Both of the axle/leaf spring locator pins on my Dana 30 have been snapped in two. This leaves only a small amount of the locator pin sticking out of the bottom of the axle pad.

Question: Are these things threaded in? Or can I try to grab them with a pair of "Channel Locks" and pull them out?

Thought process: The rear axle locater pins are a simple nut and bolt that hold the springs together. Is the front axle the same? Am I over thinking this???
    Money pit!

The pins on your front are the same as your rear.They keep your springs together and your axle location to the spring.With your pins broken your axle could move on your springs.Buy new ones,they are just like a bolt,with a round head,and nut.I wouldn't drive it that way though.
    Dennis
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Dennis,
      I understand the locater pins function. Thank you, though - there is no possible way that I could or would try to use the locater pins a second time.

Does anybody know if the ends of these locater pins thread into the plates?
      Money pit!

Comment

If by locater pin you would also referring to what some call the centering pins, they are not threaded into the spring plate. The head of the pin just rests in the spring plate. I happened to grab a handful that last time I was in one of the auto machine shops. they are not the easiest things to locate.
        I've heard some people just go the their local hardware store and replace the pins with bolts. I believe that they would have to grind down the bolt head for everything to fit.

Comment

AKA Spring pack bolts

Just go to your local NAPA store and ask for them. They usualy have them in stock and I think they cost about $4 or $5 a piece. Might want to take one of the busted ones with you to match it up as the head size differs and some of them are longer than others! Grinding the head size down to fit will work if needed and you can always cut the end off after you get them on if they are to long. I just changed mine out because I busted one in the rear, The front's are the same as the rear's! You should also consider changing out the U-Bolts at the same time rather than reusing them. (It's never a good idea to reuse a U-Bolt as they can strech, bend and or strip real easy!) One axle will cost you around $70 or $80 total for the 4 new U-Bolts and 2 Spring pack bolts. (Thats from NAPA) You can shop around and you might find a better price at AutoZone or Kragen. :2:

Scott
          Last edited by avjeepfreek; 03-01-09, 02:16 PM.
          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I tear into alot of other things on the Jeep without even thinking twice about it, but I was very weary of trying to work those little devils out!

The rear axle simply got a nut and bolt to center up the leaves and both have survived thus far! Hmmmmmm........
            Money pit!

Comment

if all the leafs are still lined up just C clamp the spring together loosen the U bolts on onbe side let the axle hang down instAll the new center bolt and make sure yto tighte3n it well same goes for the u bolts. When a center bolt breaks it generally means the U bolts were not tight enough

Comment

When I got my RE 4.5" springs the center pins had some stupid spacer that needed to be removed. I clamped the springs and removed the pin, then removed the spacer. I went to reinstall the pin and when I barely tightened it down, the threads on the pin stripped. I took one of the pins to Ace Hardware and found some grade 8 bolts with a round/allen head and picked up some new nuts. I tightened then up and then installed the springs.

I believe they were 3/8" dia., don't remember how long.
                95 YJ
                2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  if all the leafs are still lined up just C clamp the spring together loosen the U bolts on onbe side let the axle hang down instAll the new center bolt and make sure yto tighte3n it well same goes for the u bolts. When a center bolt breaks it generally means the U bolts were not tight enough
                  You are probably right. I put new U-bolts on the front axle about a year ago......I should have checked the u-bolts on a more consistent basis.
                  Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian22 View Post
                    When I got my RE 4.5" springs the center pins had some stupid spacer that needed to be removed. I clamped the springs and removed the pin, then removed the spacer. I went to reinstall the pin and when I barely tightened it down, the threads on the pin stripped. I took one of the pins to Ace Hardware and found some grade 8 bolts with a round/allen head and picked up some new nuts. I tightened then up and then installed the springs.

I believe they were 3/8" dia., don't remember how long.
                    Yup, I'll be over at Ace Hardware this afternoon! I love that place! They keep it so neat and organized that I am happy to spend my money there!
                    Money pit!

Comment

You would be amazed at the noise the spring pack makes when that little pin breaks. I kept hearing odd noises coming from the rear. The packs were starting to slip side to side. Took the springs off and found both rear pins were broken. Now my spare parts bag has spares.
                      I do like those allen head bolts. Time to stop at ACE.

Comment

I know this is going to be a huge help... Get the coily kind of springs!
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                          You got to love the RAT.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                            You got to love the RAT.
                            Sorry man, it's a disease...
                            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                              Oh!?!?!?!?!? Well, real men wear leaves! Those new-fangled coily things are for sissies!
                              Money pit!

Comment

Working...
                              X