Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Stock Mounts

I think that this is the right spot to put this thread, but it wouldn't be the first time that I was wrong. I just want to share a repetitive experience that I have had recently with my stock suspension mounts.

When I started wheeling on a regular basis and found myself starting to run some 'harder' trails (an always subjective opinion), I was cautioned about the inherent weakness of the stock mounting points for Jeep suspensions. Since at that time, I had had no problems to speak of so I really thought that the advice was overjealous. Surely, that kind of damage to the stock mounting points only comes from running the Hammers on a regular basis...Right?

Ha! Well, I can say that I have learned otherwise. Just for the record, I have been regularly offroading in Mr. Green for just about three years. In early January this year, I had a rear shock mount shear the welds after running Isham Canyon:

I probably should have reinforced both mounts, but instead I just welded the torn and broken parts back on. I added extra welds to try to prevent a repeat problem and I added welds to the undamaged side as well.

After running Hairy Crack on the last day of January, found that I had a cracked and crushed lower control arm mount on the driver's side. Notice the mis-shaped mount in this pic:

It got worse by the time I got home.

I straightened and re-welded the bent and cracked parts, and added extra welds to both of the front lower control arm mounts. I then added a 3/16" sheet metal plate to keep the mounts in position:

Okay...so now I'm becoming a believer in this stock mount problem. The real kicker (and a break that I haven't heard about before) is that after the Martinez Canyon trail in Arizona, I heard a popping noise coming from the steering, especially when I turned the tires to the passenger side. I ran Bullfrog trail last weekend and it got worse. After some assistance from my wife, I found the problem. The bracket that the steering gear is bolted to was shearing from the frame! Check out these pics, judging by the rust, this has been a problem getting worse for a while:

So tonight, I pulled the steering gear and re-attached the mounting bracket with a pretty heavy-duty weld. In the process, I found that one of the mounting bolt holes was also cracked:

After fully re-welding (using a heavy-duty weld) all four of the contact points for the bracket, I finally felt comfortable putting everthing back together:

So, a long story to get to this point... check your suspension mounts after every adventure! It's more important than you may think.

I will from now on. Just my opinion...
    Last edited by Mike; 02-25-09, 01:36 AM.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Excelent advise, it is something that should be done every offroad trip, especially on rocks. Those Jeeps take quite the beating. I still need to do some fixing from the the abuse of the hairy crack run

Comment

Totally agree!! Guys.

I check as soon as I get back or the very next morning. Weld seams are usually overlooked; but too important to miss!
      Mike, those are some fine PICS for examples to show...thanks for sharing.

Tony

Comment

Hey Mike! Have you considered one of the steering box braces for guys like M.O.R.E.?

Reinforce the power steering gear box to the frame with this heavy-duty brace. If you have tires larger then stock, this brace is a much needed item. It is the best insurance you can install on your Jeep® to keep the box from being "torn" off the frame. The brace is powder coated and the clamp is zinc plated gold. All mounting hardware included, simple bolt-on design. No drilling or mods required (for most applications).
        Last Saturday you saw how I like wheel. I have used one of these braces for a few years now, and I have had zero problems.

P.S. I recently plated the outer portion of the frame that the power steering box mounts to with 3/16" steel in order to reduce the opportunity for flex and stress. Right there!
        Last edited by pdw; 02-25-09, 11:11 AM.
        Money pit!

Comment

I tore the stock front shackle mount off the frame on Rattlesnake and ripped the bottom rear shock mounts on Hairy Crack. I replaced both with Currie chromolly mounts and mounted the rear shock brackets level with axle instead of hanging straight down (also raised the top mount by the same amount). An overhead lift really lets you clearly see whats happening down there. I noticed from the Bullfrog pic's that Chuck had Kurt check his stuff out as he drove by (OVER!)him. Haaa....

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Going to check the YJ today! I know I have some issues with my tranny skid plate mounts already...this will just add fuel to the welding fire I suppose.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

the 97-99 frames and brackets are not welded as well as the 2000+ brackets.
              I tore almost all the brackets off my 97 frame (including the steering box just like yours), but my 2000 frame has only lost 1 UCA bracket.
              I also think that the control arm design helps keep the brackets alive. The adjustable uppers and lowers with RE joints have helped prevent binding on the arms.
              It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                Hey Mike! Have you considered one of the steering box braces for guys like M.O.R.E.?
                Yes, I installed one when I blew up my gear box on Shedder a while back. I didn't think that it was doing much until now. It has pretty much been what was holding the steering gear in place!

Hey Chris (Elusive), I have the adjustable upper & lower control arms and I assume that they are adjusted correctly since I had an experienced guy install the lift kit. Is there a way to check?
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Mike the control arms with bushings instead of Johnny joints or heim joints put a lot of stress on the control arm mounts when flexing since they bind.
                  If your control arms are fitted with heim or johnny joints on both ends that should not be your problem, rubber bushings on one end is not bad either

Comment

Originally posted by Elusive View Post
                    the 97-99 frames and brackets are not welded as well as the 2000+ brackets.
                    Same with the middle spring hangers on a CJ(not sure about YJ). Their rivited to the frame. I welded mine on along time ago. You CJ guys should check those. Welding mine really tightened up my steering.
                    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post

Ha! Well, I can say that I have learned otherwise. Just for the record, I have been regularly offroading in Mr. Green for just about three years. In early January this year, I had a rear shock mount shear the welds after running Isham Canyon:
                      Had you not increased the leverage against the stock welds with those shock extenders, they would in all likelihood still be fine. It's not the mount's fault you exceeded it's design parameters.

After running Hairy Crack on the last day of January, found that I had a cracked and crushed lower control arm mount on the driver's side. Notice the mis-shaped mount in this pic:

I straightened and re-welded the bent and cracked parts, and added extra welds to both of the front lower control arm mounts. I then added a 3/16" sheet metal plate to keep the mounts in position:
                      It's hard to tell from the pics, but did you run a weld across the front where they touch the axle tube? If not, you should.

Okay...so now I'm becoming a believer in this stock mount problem. The real kicker (and a break that I haven't heard about before) is that after the Martinez Canyon trail in Arizona, I heard a popping noise coming from the steering, especially when I turned the tires to the passenger side. I ran Bullfrog trail last weekend and it got worse. After some assistance from my wife, I found the problem. The bracket that the steering gear is bolted to was shearing from the frame! Check out these pics, judging by the rust, this has been a problem getting worse for a while:

So tonight, I pulled the steering gear and re-attached the mounting bracket with a pretty heavy-duty weld. In the process, I found that one of the mounting bolt holes was also cracked:

After fully re-welding (using a heavy-duty weld) all four of the contact points for the bracket, I finally felt comfortable putting everthing back together:

So, a long story to get to this point... check your suspension mounts after every adventure! It's more important than you may think.

I will from now on. Just my opinion...
                      Now what you need to watch for is your trackbar mount ripping out of the frame. If you beef up the steering box mount and brace it, the next thing in line that takes the abuse is that mount. I've welded several of them back in on trail.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                        Now what you need to watch for is your trackbar mount ripping out of the frame. If you beef up the steering box mount and brace it, the next thing in line that takes the abuse is that mount. I've welded several of them back in on trail.
                        [COLOR="Sienna"]Say what you want...sometimes there's no substitute for experience.[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

mrblaine What is a good way to brace the trackbar mount?
                          Curtis.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Curtis,

Due to some mud build-up I can't take a quick photo, but my mechanic welded a pair of triangle shaped gussets on each side of the mounting tab. My original tore loose and now is very well braced and rigid.

Mitch

Comment

One of the first things I did when I put the lift on was truss the CA brackets, the Drag link brackets, and the POS UCA mount on the PS of the Dana 30 Front. What a weak-assed POS that thing is. Haven't broken any of those mounts since one on Holcomb two years ago, but then again I only do the bunny trails... And Do what Blain suggests, weld the skids on your LCAs to the axle tube for more support.
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X