Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HYBRID Springs? Using leaves to locate coilovers?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HYBRID Springs? Using leaves to locate coilovers?

I'm putting a diesel engine in my CJ. The engine weighs 600# stripped (800# dressed and ready?). I want to keep leaves spring under but math says spring rate would be kinda high and stiff to carry 4bt armor & a winch. Possible solution : using mainleaves (each corner) to locate axle and then use coilovers to reach the height and rate(s) I seek. Still use shackles and all. Am I crazy or could that actually work? If it does work could I use my original non lifted springs and just let them hang the axle(s)? Just using them to locate instead of designing, building, buying, damaging, repairing a link type set up. Could use original mainleaves and have them "wrapped" (military) and even add a torque spring or some other anti-wrap deally or how about just fabbing up one link to combat/ minimize axle wrap? Any geniuses or fellow crazy bastards have any ideas? Am I "on to something" if it works and someone starts making this type stuff I want mine for free! Just getting ready for build over next couple of months and want "the best" for "the least" amount of work and benjamins. OR - should I just "man up" and buy the rubicon express extreme set for a YJ? Remember I'll essentially have a 'big block' over front axle and a winch, it's that whole Archimedes thing.

Dirtman here in the forum uses leav springs and air shocks to maintain ride height and is quite happy with his setup

Comment

Working...
    X