Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Springs

I have a 1974 CJ-5 that needs the leafs springs replaced but I need to save a little money and I heard about a couple of different options. One option would be to go with "Holbrook Longleafs" another one is "Blue Torch FabWorks" and the last one I found was a "Spring over Axle by John Nutter" Could someone give me some idea on the better option. They all seem to go along with the samething with just a few changes. Any advise would be helpful for my year of jeep. Again staying with the leaf springs seem to be a cheaper way.
    Thanks,
    Dave

I've never heard of the Holbrook Longleafs...but the idea does not make too much sense to me. A lot of CJ and YJ guys will use longer leaf springs, and extend them away from center, giving you a slightly longer wheel base. If you extended that length inward, towards the center, you would be shortening your wheelbase, which is already pretty short for a CJ5

Blue Torch FabWorks or any shackle reversal is arguemented both ways. Research it, and decided if you feel it is worth it. Understand that beyond the cost of new springs, you will need the reversal kit, and you need a new drive shaft in the front, that can handle the new way the suspension moves (on compression, the front axle will now move towards the back).

Spring over Axle (SOA) is another item. My personal opinion is that, for what *I* want, SOA is more problems than it is worth. TONS of info online about it, just google. FAR from being inexpensive and easy. One of the biggest drawbacks in my opinion is axle wrap.

What are your plans for the CJ? If you are gonna only run 32", you can get a small lift kit (2.5") and clear the tires with no problem. I'm not sure of the availability for a CJ5, but there are half a dozen lift manufactures to lift your Jeep.

Comment

I'm basically looking into more articulation and a smoother ride. I would like to upgrade my tire size to 35" but I might be looking to go just with 33". Looking at the pictures from the links I provided from my original post it seems that the change in lengths of the leafs would give me wanted without spending a tons of money. I agree with you about doing an SOA.... I've heard good and bad so I think I'll stay clear of that.
      Thanks for the response,
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
        I'm basically looking into more articulation and a smoother ride. I would like to upgrade my tire size to 35" but I might be looking to go just with 33". Looking at the pictures from the links I provided from my original post it seems that the change in lengths of the leafs would give me wanted without spending a tons of money. I agree with you about doing an SOA.... I've heard good and bad so I think I'll stay clear of that.
        Thanks for the response,
        Dave
        Have you looked into the YJ convertion?It has wider leafs(2 1/2") and is supposed to help ride.Read little about it and 4Wheel Parts has it in cat.
        Dennis
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Save your money. You don't need all that bling. I'm running RE 4.5 YJ conversion and I very happy with it. I found that it was cheaper to build it myself versus buying the lift kit. The ride is nice(for a CJ).
          Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
            Save your money. You don't need all that bling. I'm running RE 4.5 YJ conversion and I very happy with it. I found that it was cheaper to build it myself versus buying the lift kit. The ride is nice(for a CJ).
            Just don't drive like Chuck and your leafsprings will be OK...
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Not sure what Chuck drives like but this is what I did to my leafs Click Here I've heard some good things about the BDS springs..... any other opinions?
              Thanks for all the feedback,
              Dave

Comment

BDS has a great break it buy it guarantee. The best money you can spend on leafs would be......... Rubicon express YJ leafs. They ride great and will articulate more then you need. The swap from CJ to YJ is not to hard either. Thats my .02
                Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Thanks jimmyrig,
                  Could you provide me a link to the CJ5 to YJ Converstion Kit for the year of my jeep... Does this not include the springs themselves also? Would it require welding?
                  Any info is greatly appreciated,
                  thanks,
                  Dave

Comment

No welding required. All you need to do is:
                    Remove front spring hangers.
                    Remove the rivet on the frame in front of old spring hangers.
                    Install new YJ spring hanger one hole forward of the old spring hanger holes.
                    Install new YJ shackles
                    Install new YJ springs

It's quite easy.
                    Check out .

Comment

I dont know if it comes in kit form it is pretty forward but:
                      http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/cjyjsoa/

http://www.rock-equipment.com/
                      Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                      Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                      www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Thanks for the links..... everything I read about it sounds awesome except the only ones I can find go back to 1976, my jeep is a 1974

Comment

I'm running BDS, and am happy with them. However, I don't go though leafs like Dirtman does, so if they're made, I'm sure he's tweaked them.

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]I run the Holbrook Longleafs on my 74 CJ5. I like them, they're nice. Soft ride for a CJ5, but they do have some drawbacks. Lots of body roll. I'm thinking of installing a sway bar, that's how much body roll it has. Articulation is nice with the HBs, but the length of the springs means they get beat up a little more often than a shorter spring would.

If I had it to do over again...I'd follow Nagal's (one of the first guys I met on MJR) advice, get something to "get by" and save my $$ for coilovers.
                            [/COLOR]
                            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Soft ride for a CJ5, but they do have some drawbacks. Lots of body roll. I'm thinking of installing a sway bar, that's how much body roll it has. Articulation is nice with the HBs, but the length of the springs means they get beat up a little more often than a shorter spring would.
                              Since the YJ conversion seems to only work with 1976 and newer, I'll go for maybe the BDS..... seems to be the cheapest in cost I'll stick with what 0369 said and wait until I can afford better. Unless dirtman knows if the YJ springs will work with the 1974 CJ?

Thanks for all the responses,
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X