Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken leaf spring

Hey gang!

We had out first outing over the weekend, and discovered that I have one broken leaf spring.

I think it has been broken since I bought it because the left rear always had a bit of a sag to it.

Anyhow, the previous owner has told me that he installed the 4" spring lift by Trailmaster.

The lowest spring on the left rear is broken in the middle (assuming it used to be one piece) and Saturday worked its way out some and move to the left and started rubbing on the tire. I hammered it back to get it aligned, and then ran some wire around it to keep it from moving over again and it held through the weekend.

So now, what are my options? I'm thinking I should do the rear as a set.

How tough is it to change out the springs?

Should I stick with Trailmaster? Or does it matter much?

I'm looking for a low cost but sturdy solution (aren't we all).

Thanks!
    -- Warren
    1999 SE

At the very least, I would change out both the left and right rear springs.
    (Perhaps the Trail Master springs offer reasonable ride and flexibility - I don't know as I have only used the Rubicon Express leaf springs on my YJ.)
    To change the leaf springs requires nothing more than removing and reinstalling 12 nuts and bolts.
    Because U-bolts (holding the axle to the springs) can be susceptible to fatigue it has always been suggested that you replace u-bolts instead of reusing them.
    If you have an impact wrench, this job can be completed in two hours???? It takes longer to get ready than it does to actually change the springs....Jack stands, moving junk around in the garage, removing tires, fighting with stubborn bolts...
    Money pit!

Comment

Yup, definitely looking at replacing the u-bolts and bushings as well.

I called Trailmaster so now I understand all the parts and such - doesn't look too tough and looks like I can do both sides for around $250.

Any comments on Trailmaster versus other vendors? Like Tuff Country for example?
      -- Warren
      1999 SE

Comment

Originally posted by Warren View Post
        Yup, definitely looking at replacing the u-bolts and bushings as well.

I called Trailmaster so now I understand all the parts and such - doesn't look too tough and looks like I can do both sides for around $250.

Any comments on Trailmaster versus other vendors? Like Tuff Country for example?
        I'm sure somebody else will post up on their experiences with the other lift manufactures and how their springs ride/flex.
        Remember, you almost always get what you pay for!
        Money pit!

Comment

trail master wouldnt warranty the spring?

have a look at BDS. they have a no questions asked warranty on their springs.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            trail master wouldnt warranty the spring?

have a look at BDS. they have a no questions asked warranty on their springs.
            I called Trailmaster - They said the break was likely due to the U-Bolts not being torqued down, allowing it to cause a hinging point and breaking the leaf.

I decided to try the Tuff Country HD EZ-Ride springs on the back.

I found some on sale ($220 shipped for a 4" rear set with new U-Bolts and all hardware), and I was impressed when I called Tuff Country for advice.

The fun part will be cutting off the old crusty U-Bolts and dealing with various rusty nuts for the new install...
            -- Warren
            1999 SE

Comment

I just went through this same thing with my YJ, I went with RE HD springs, and I did all four. You might find that the springs have some sag in them, and after you put new ones on the back, the front may sit a bit lower. After I replaced all the springs I started to really look at them all and even though the rear springs did not fail they were sure on their way. If you have the scratch, I would do all four. :2: and you might want to go with some nice greasable shackles, 'boomarang' shackles on the front will keep the springs from flexing back the wrong way and 'boomarang' shackles on the rear make for a nicer ride. I went with Currie shackles. This is a job that you can do over the course of a few weeks as well, you don't have to do the front and the back the same day.... but I did...
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I did the YJ conversion on my CJ with the RE HD and the Currie greasable shackles. Springs are great, a little soft but ride nice. As for the greasable shackles I'm replacing the bolts with solid Grade 8 bolts. I have broken so many zerts that it's not worth it (for me). Great feature though.
                Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                  I just went through this same thing with my YJ, I went with RE HD springs, and I did all four. You might find that the springs have some sag in them, and after you put new ones on the back, the front may sit a bit lower. After I replaced all the springs I started to really look at them all and even though the rear springs did not fail they were sure on their way. If you have the scratch, I would do all four. :2: and you might want to go with some nice greasable shackles, 'boomarang' shackles on the front will keep the springs from flexing back the wrong way and 'boomarang' shackles on the rear make for a nicer ride. I went with Currie shackles. This is a job that you can do over the course of a few weeks as well, you don't have to do the front and the back the same day.... but I did...
                  Good advice - we'll see how she sits when I get the new springs on!
                  -- Warren
                  1999 SE

Comment

BDS is the only way to go if your replacing springs. It is worth the warrenty especially on leaf spring applications

Comment

Originally posted by mesa4x4 View Post
                      BDS is the only way to go if your replacing springs. It is worth the warrenty especially on leaf spring applications
                      I looked at those, but for the mild off-roading I do it was hard to justify a little more than 2X the price , which I couldn't afford anyhow.
                      -- Warren
                      1999 SE

Comment

I kept braking the right rear main spring and have always had a sagging problem since the hardtop install. I finally installed a set of RE front springs on the front and the rear. There is more spring in the leaf pack. No more sag or problems and the jeep handles way better on and off road.

Brett
                        offroadwerkz.com
                        (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Well, I got my new Tuff Country's on yesterday. She sits perfect, no more rear sag and such.

The Trailmasters that were on there were beat.
                          Both center pins were broken and missing the lower half, and it was allowing the lower two leafs (leaves?) to move around.

She drives and handles so much nicer now!
                          -- Warren
                          1999 SE

Comment

Working...
                          X