Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ-5 Tire/Lift Help

Hi All,

I'm still searching the Internet and trying as much on my own to understand the ins/outs but need some assistance...

My '79 CJ-5 came with a 4" lift and 33" tires.

My questions:

What size tires/rims were standard on a '79 CJ-5?

What's the proper way to measure rim size?

How do I tell how it was lifted by looking? I think I just have some shackles?

To remove the lift do I just need to worry about the two driveshafts and steering arm? Or is it more complicated than that?

Basically I'm looking to go to smaller tires for better gearing/driveability and do away with the lift. We really only do some light sand and hard-pack while geocaching in the desert anyhow.

I really dislike the inherent tall gearing.

I'm hesitant to change the rear gearing because the previous owner put in a Lock Right so I assume I'd have to replace the whole thing which is costly.

I'll be due for tires soon so I'm looking for a compromise of slightly oversized tires but better drivability.

4H is just about useless, and with the Terra Low 4:1 he put in it it is real low...

So I really don't know the best answer because I'm a Jeep newbie and on a steep learning curve... :bonk:

Thanks in advance for your help/advice!
    -- Warren
    1999 SE

To remove the lift you will only need to unbolt the u bolts, shocks, and springs. Do the rear first slap on new springs. Then move to the front. As you take a bolt out inspect it see if it needs to be replaced. Then put the bolt back where it came from so you won’t loose it.

Stock tires can be anything you want but I would run 31s as they are a good all around size.
    NOW MY DISCLAIMER: You have a great platform. I would run it the way it is, maybe drop to a 32 or 31...You are new to jeeps and may find that dirt roads may not be as fun as they once were. Plus with a rig built like yours you can get to those hard to REACH geocaching sites. Give yourself some time as she sits. Spend your money making it Road/Off-road worthy. Especially if you spend anytime out in the back country.
    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
    www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Thanks Jimmy for the great advice!
      -- Warren
      1999 SE

Comment

I agree with Jimmy, wait awhile before you lower it. You mentioned you think it was lifted with longer shackles. Can you measure them from center to center at the bolts? With that measurement, we should be able to determine if they are longer than stock.

Also look where the body bolts to the frame, it may have had a body lift. Look for "spacers" between the body and the rubber mounts. They will be a 1", 2" or possibley even a 3" in height. If it's 3" a lot will have to be done to lower it.

I run 31x10.5 BFG AT's on stock 15" wheels. They are a good compromise. But I want bigger!

To measure your rim width, measure from inside of the lip at the bottom to the other side. I don't know what stock width was for a CJ5, my CJ7 is about 7". With 33's, You probably have either 8" or 10" rims.

On another note, what engine to you have? How long since it was tuned up and gone through to make sure it's at it's peak? It may account for your lack of power.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

It's the 6 cylinder and only the 3 speed tranny... Ugh...

It was a new crate motor 6000 miles ago so it's pretty strong. It'll run down the freeway pretty well, but hilly terrain is a compromise with the tall gearing...

It's not a daily driver, but I do drive it once a week, sometimes more, then we get out to the desert about 6 times a year is all.

I really need to go out with some fellow Jeepers so I can get an idea of some safe off-road limits... I'm a bit paranoid right now to get too out of shape.

I'll measure this weekend. At a minimum I want to try and understand everything about how my Jeep is setup.
          -- Warren
          1999 SE

Comment

If you are paranoid, you need to meet up with Great88! He was afraid of everything, now he's afraid of nothing

Be careful with this group, safe isn't in some of their vocabualry! Right Max7, MrBash?? Careful to them is only rolling their Jeep a few times....

Can I get an Amen brothers?
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Warren,

Find a few guys that have experience and let them know what your level is and ease into it. If they put you into something you are not comfortable with after explaining your comfort level, find someone else to wheel with. And despite Roger's comment I wasn't afraid of everything. Haaaa.....

Mitch

Comment

That's exactly what I need to do Mitch!
                -- Warren
                1999 SE

Comment

Warren, I am trying to find the stock size of tires and gear ratio for you. I know the special editions for the year had 15x8 rims with 31s on them, however the base models seem to have 15 x 7 with either 29 or 30s
                  Gear ratio can be changed with most limited slips but some have either low, or high ratio models, it would help to have the current ratio.
                  also if the lift was purely a shackle lift then that thing would be huge, can you give us a leaf spring count front and rear?
                  I think it would be safe to say a set of 31x10s would fit great with a 2 inch lift, be great on the road and straitening the rest out would be a small matter of time. gearing does cost money. the super low can be cured with a tran case swap, which would be cheaper than finding the correct gears, just we need to know the trans case in the unit. 79 was another transition year as the cj7 was being introduced, 25th anniversary cj5s are around, several specials (golden eagle, etc) versions were available. As you can see, a bit of research is needed as a bit more info of what type of series you have.
                  censored for having an opinion

Comment

So here's what I see when I poke around...

I don't see a body lift, it appears to be just standard looking mounts, rubber donuts, about an inch or so thick.

All four corner have 5 springs on each leaf.

The shackles are just under 4" center bolt to center bolt - One on each end of the leaf. The opposite end looks stock. The shackles are placed all the way forwad in the front, all the way back in the rear.

The springs all go under the axles.

On the rear axle, there is also a wedge between the springs and the axle, thick side towards the front.

Now bear in mind, the previous owner stated that it had a 4" lift... I really have no idea.

Maybe someone in San Diego that knows these CJ's wants to meet up so they can help me figure it out, and I can buy lunch or something...???
                    -- Warren
                    1999 SE

Comment

:confused:

Hmmmm... Maybe I don't have a 4" lift?

But she sure sits high!
                      -- Warren
                      1999 SE

Comment

sorry, I am doing a job out of town and have limited time for the net except weekends,
                        lets see what I have found for
                        you. first tire size is kinda hard to find, I keep getting info that 31s were a option with upgrade packages like the renegade package, also the packages ran 15x8 rims, wagon wheel style, white or chrome. so I would surmise a 15x7 would be stock and a 29 inch tire.
                        if you read the book "CJ" you seem to learn that 5 springs is usually stock, so unless they are heavier springs then they may be stock, and shackle lifts are squiggly with long shackles. you say they look stockish, humm. is the spring set up over or under the axle. setting up over the axle is a common way to lift, but that also sets up for it's own set of issues to handle.
                        Shackle forward or rearward is not a lift issue. it is a ride issue as one way makes it ride better on the stret, one makes it more stable on the trail.
                        Now seeing as you have answered most of these Issues, the next thing to do is put it side by side with a stock lifted cj of a similar year and start to compare. My CJ is a 1970, not a good one to compare as I fall into what is called the early years, Amc bought Jeep in !970 and in 1971 started the changes in 1971, by 1874 they did major changes in body, drive train,and other places in the jeep, finding a 74 through final year cj5 would be the place to look, although finding a stock on would be difficult.
                        I know you are looking for a more stock Jeep for cheap,but it seems a bit of cash may be spent on new springs to lower that thing.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

That's great info, thanks for the help!
                          -- Warren
                          1999 SE

Comment

Working...
                          X