Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Stabilizers yes or no?

I bought a new cross over steering set up and noticed my heavy duty steering stabilizer is leaking and need to replace it. I have read it doesnt do much and you really dont need it. Is there anyone out there that has experience with this. I personally never ran without mine but I think I might try it.
    Last edited by Jeeperator; 11-05-08, 01:22 PM.

You will get major death wobbles without the stabilizer. I have tried it without and at first things were good. But a few weeks later the wobbles started and they were really bad!!

Comment

I havent run a steering stab on my JCR OTK steering since I got it. Its been about a little over 6 months and I have no problems what so ever.

I drive it about 1000 miles a month as well.

HTH
      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
        You will get major death wobbles without the stabilizer. I have tried it without and at first things were good. But a few weeks later the wobbles started and they were really bad!!
        Stabilizers only mask a problem. If you have death wobble w/o a steering stabilizer then you need to fix a steering problem you have.

We've been running w/o a stabilizer on Tams jeep for a while with no ill affects. On that note I'd like to put one back on.
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Part of its function is to dampen shockloads. will slow the steering wheel down some when it flys out of your hands when you hit a rock wrong

Comment

My understanding of death wobble is it has alot to do with the cheaper made tires that are out there that cant be balanced properly with out a pound of weight. A good quality tire probably will get rid of that death wobble. You guys think a stock stabilizer would be ok or better than nothing.

Comment

A stock one will be fine. As Chris said, a properly setup steering system doesnt need a stabilizer. So as long as your not masking any wobble problems with it. Theres no reason why you cant run one.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                Stabilizers only mask a problem. If you have death wobble w/o a steering stabilizer then you need to fix a steering problem you have.
                I have been told this many a time by Jeep builders. they all insist that you get the geometry correct and the stock damper is all you need. I once had the wobbles, found a loose nut and fixed it. Next time I got the wobbles it was the tires needing balancing. Check the system over good as spending money on a stabilizer is just a band aid for the true problem
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

I drove the jeep it drove fine with out it but I am going to puy a stock one on anyway for a little assurance.

Comment

Beau, i have a stock one you can have took it off after 3000 miles of my then new Jeep.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      Beau, i have a stock one you can have took it off after 3000 miles of my then new Jeep.
                      Thanks art, fred gave me his and it looked brand new too.

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                        I have been told this many a time by Jeep builders. they all insist that you get the geometry correct and the stock damper is all you need. I once had the wobbles, found a loose nut and fixed it. Next time I got the wobbles it was the tires needing balancing. Check the system over good as spending money on a stabilizer is just a band aid for the true problem

Agree w/ above. I have not had one on my sfa kj since all the work was done and it works fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X