Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need shocks!

anyone know of any good deals going on right now for shocks and a stabalizer? i need some for my lift kit. whats a good brand that wont break the bank?

If you save up a little i would go with:

Bilstein 5100s or Old Man Emus.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
      If you save up a little i would go with:

Bilstein 5100s or Old Man Emus.
      I would second that
      2007 SAHARA DirtyFab Sliders, Superior Axles w/ 5.13 Gears, Coming Soon: GenRight JK Stuff(i'm waiting guys!)

Comment

there's nothing wrong with a set of rancho 5000's, about $50 a piece i think.

Comment

50 a peice that aint bad. my buddy has those on his chevy and he doesnt mind them. we just put a set of umm rough country ones on my buddies toyota and he loves them but they were like 30 bucks each and im wondering how good the quality is. then again i c ould compress his factory ones with one hand so anything is better than that

Comment

do i need eye-to-eye or post-to-eye type shocks? what compression and extended lengths should i run? i have a inch and 3/4 set of coil spacers in place right now.

Comment

Hurricane (sorry, don't know your real name),

I may have confused you, the difference in the shock types are thus:

[CENTER]
              Example of Eye-to-Eye type shocks. The ends have the loops on them to mount with.

Example of Post-to-Eye type of shocks. You can see the upper part of the shock is a post instead of an Eye. Sorry, small picture.[/CENTER]
              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

hmm i get what your saying, i have never looked to tell the truth. i dont even know where they mount in the rear. up into the body it looks like. are they hard to change out? how does one lower the diff and pull the springs out?

Comment

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
                  hmm i get what your saying, i have never looked to tell the truth. i dont even know where they mount in the rear. up into the body it looks like. are they hard to change out? how does one lower the diff and pull the springs out?
                  I will defer to a TJ owner for these answers. Usually "lowering the diff" is a matter of raising the frame, not the axle. I would be suprised if the rear shocks mounted to the body and not the frame somewhere. But again, I'm not a TJ owner so I defer to them.

Comment

Very easy to change the rear shocks (and then springs) on a TJ. Pull out an extension and a 15mm socket.

The rear upper mount on the shocks are held on with posts just like the lower front. They're slotted posts that have a bolt on both sides. That means you can take one bolt out completely, and just loosen the other. Then you can slide the post out and pull the shock.

If that doesn't make sense, just look at your front lower shock mounts.
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Mat,
                      What style shocks does a TJ have? How do they mount I mean. I have some shocks lying around I may be able to send Hurricane, but not sure if they'll fit what he needs.

Comment

Front top = post
                        Front bottom = eye

Rear top/bottom = eye

If you need something more specific than that, let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                          Front top = post
                          Front bottom = eye

Rear top/bottom = eye

If you need something more specific than that, let me know!
                          Thats exactly what I needed. Now I just wonder what extended and compressed lengths he needs. I think he said 1.75" lift?

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                            Thats exactly what I needed. Now I just wonder what extended and compressed lengths he needs. I think he said 1.75" lift?
                            You're always best off measuring for that. Mine aren't the right lengths, so I don't have that info, sorry!

Comment

Hurricane, what lift do you have? Most manufacturers have a suggested shock for theyre kit. All you have to do is look that up then find a shock of comparable length and your set.
                              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X