Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugged Ridge steering conversion for tj

I was thinking about getting one of these setups. does anyony have any input on this. the price is right but that could be bad. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32
    Last edited by Jeeperator; 09-26-08, 09:15 PM. Reason: wrong name sorry

However you look at it, it's an improvement over the skinny stock tierod, if you want to go cheap find the tierod and draglink of a ZJ (early nineties grand cherokee) at pick a parts or ecology

Comment

Never have used this, but I want to switch my jeep to this style steering from the current Y style. I am concerned as the tie rod end (looks to be an off the shelf item) looks to be too short to limit bumpsteer with the geometry on a oe tj axle.
      I can break a steel ball in a rubber room.
      Shaffers Offroad - El Diablo III - Soon!

Comment

ihave yj set up works great its preety beefy no complaints here
        :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

I can't tell exactly what's going on from that pic, but if that center link goes straight across, it's likely to interfere with your lower track bar mount and bolt. I know, because I just fabbed a crossover steering with 1.5" DOM, and it hits that bolt head when I try to turn too far to the right. Regardless, my old steering was about to give, so I figure slightly limited steering is a lot better than complete loss of steering.

As for the length of the drag link, there would be no way to make it longer unless it were to connect to the knuckle via a high steer or over/under setup.
          Last edited by inVERt'D; 09-27-08, 01:13 AM. Reason: typos
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            However you look at it, it's an improvement over the skinny stock tierod, if you want to go cheap find the tierod and draglink of a ZJ (early nineties grand cherokee) at pick a parts or ecology
            Thats what fred did and it looks beefy. I think I will go monday to pickapart.

Comment

Originally posted by Beat98TJ View Post
              Never have used this, but I want to switch my jeep to this style steering from the current Y style. I am concerned as the tie rod end (looks to be an off the shelf item) looks to be too short to limit bumpsteer with the geometry on a oe tj axle.
              The stock tie rod ends are alot smaller than the ones on that RR setup. They are 7/8 tre's and the dom tube is .250 wall x 1.250 od not id. 7/8 tres is what currie uses isnt it.

Comment

Let me know what time you go to pick a part, I have been meaning to hunt for a High pinion dana 30. Also the ZJ steering parts don't seem to be terribly expensive new was looking ay yhe website of the vendor that advertises on here and gives the 10% discount.
                Here is a pretty good writeup on the whole thing
                http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/zjtie/tierod-1.htm
                Last edited by aw12345; 09-27-08, 06:12 PM. Reason: add text and link

Comment

Working...
                X