Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• death wobble (and its bad)

what causes this and how can i fix it. it starts at around 30 mph and doesnt stop untill i reach 5 miles per hour

and i just bought a heavy duty sterring kit and at what lenth do i set the draq link at so my tires are straight
    Last edited by dexter jackson; 07-02-08, 01:50 PM.

Tighten the crap out of everything!! If you have coil suspension, make sure the tires are balanced, keep your sway bars connected when not offroad, and put on a good steering stabilizer.

Comment

Please use the search feature on this board. There are many threads about this already.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

This issue has been covered pretty well here (do a search). Most times it's loose trackbar, axle side.

As far as setting the tires straight first center your axle. Axle on jack stands use some kind of straight edge against the hubs (tires off) and measure the distant from the straight to the frame on both sides in the same place. Tighten trackbar and mount wheels. Mark the center of the tires and measure the distance in the front, rotate the wheels 180deg. and measure the rear. Adjust the tie rod so you have 1/8" - 1/4" toe-in (front toe in). Then to straighten the steering wheel adjust the draglink coupling until satisfied. It's really not that hard to do yourself and you'll save some $$.

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

Have someone turn the wheel back and forth from right to left while you look under at the front suspension. Usually I find that the track bar has an extreme amount of play. You could have control arm bushings, ball joints and or tie rod ends that are loose. So check it well. If you question any amounts of slop you should replace the problem.

Brett
          offroadwerkz.com
          (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by dexter jackson View Post
            what causes this and how can i fix it. it starts at around 30 mph and doesnt stop untill i reach 5 miles per hour

and i just bought a heavy duty sterring kit and at what lenth do i set the draq link at so my tires are straight
            I'm curious who's steering you bought.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X