Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper/lower arms

I am planning to lift my 98 xj 3 or 3.5 inches and was wondering if it is a nessesity to replace the upper/lower arms or not. I had an 87 xj that i put a 3 inch lift on and didn't do anything about the upper/lower arms and it bent the sway bars, and was wondering if the upper/lower arms were the cause. Also any suggestions on a good lift (too many for me to decide). Thanks:confused:

Can't go wrong with Rubicon Express. At that lift, the lower arms will be very close if not touching the spring cups. You can die grind the plate to allow for clearence, but that doesnt fix the problem. In addition, your caster and pinion angle will be all off and could cause death wobble, and premature u-joint failure. For a short ammount of time it should be ok, but I would look into at least one set of adjustable arms. Good Luck.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Chris pretty much summed it up. RE makes a great kit if you have got the $$. If you are cheap (like me), check this one out:

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/Produ...4bbc26de591c27

It is $374 shipped to your door. I have been running it for 9 months, and it still is at 3" of lift.

Also, put away some money for a slip yoke elimination kit, or at minimum, a transfercase drop kit as you will most likely have driveline vibration problems with your 1998 XJ.

Good luck!

Josh

Comment

I mixed and matched a lift for my 88. Rustys Adjustable uppers and lowers, skyjacker 3 in springs, one inch spacer in the front and an add a leaf in the rear, and some 1.5 inch shackles. Cost me about $300-400 bucks and gave me about 4-4.5 inches of lift. I trimmed my fenders and ran 33's. I also didnt have a SYE, but a "long travel slip yoke" which is no more then a stock YJ slip yoke. I used that with no problems. Good Luck!
        [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
        SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

lift

Thanks for the advise. I was wondering how that black diamond kit that you mentioned flexed and also what size tires you run.
          Thanks again for the help

Comment

My avatar is a bit of a flex pic. Just squint long enough and it will start to look cool.

<<< ------

It flexes better than I thought it would. I can easily stick the front tires up into the wheel well hard enough to remove the paint from the top of the coil tower.

I like the mix-and-match thing you did with your old Jeep there, Chris! It really does not matter where the parts come from as long as it works.

Some very lucky people with the '97 and newer XJ's get by without a SYE, most don't. I had a '89 that was lifted at least 4.5" without any vibration, my '97 was terrible at 3".

If all you want is the look of 31's, and you do not plan on disconnecting the sway bars, you could actually get by with a 2" budget boost. A spacer and shackle lift kit is really cheap and easy.

Josh

Comment

sye

Yeah my '87 was just fine. So i will most likely need a SYE for my '98. What all will i need, a new drive shaft? I found one at RE for $80.00, but it doesn't look like it comes with much.

Comment

The RE hack and tap is $80. You have to cut the output shaft off and mount the flange, and buy a new driveshaft (around $200). After you get the driveshaft done you will probably have to shim the rear axle, but that is pretty easy.

There are kits available that provide you with a heavy duty output shaft and a new tailcone for the np-231. This route is more expensive but is stronger and probably better in the long run.

Josh

Comment

Do you think i will need a SYE for a 2" or a 1 3/4" lift?

Comment

On a 1997 or newer it is pretty much a roll of the dice. From what I understand, some of the newer XJ's came from the factory with vibrations.

At 2 or even 3" of lift you can get away with just a transfercase drop if you are lucky. I am running one right now until I figure out what rear axle I am going to end up with before I buy my new driveshaft.

Josh

Comment

True fact, I have a '99 vibrator.... no lift yet... kit is in the garage... 4.5 in Rough Country front section and Hell Creek shimless rear springs, plus Rocky Road 1 1/2 in shackles and ACOS up front... I will need some drive shaft work.... J.E. Reel is pretty good in the LA area...

Comment

Working...
                      X