Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my ride. My YJ is riding rough...

I have a '93 YJ with a 4" suspension lift. Originally, I had BFG M/Ts and it had a good ride. I went with Swampers a few years ago and the Freeway has been torture (they tend to get flat spots). To make matters worse, I added 2" more with larger shackles recently. I also noticed the rear track bar mount was cracking so I pulled it out. I have sway bar disconnects up front and I plan on going with All Terrains, but is there something else I should do? I'm sure the tires will improve the ride quality, but they probably won't help the "floating" feeling from the missing track bar and the extra height. Lastly, I have Rancho 9000s for a 4" lift. Can I get extensions to make up for the extra height? How much is recommended? Thanks!!

go with a wider tire. i have and 8 inch suspension lift and 35 x 14.5 swampers and i rides like crap on the high way but no "floating" feeling, unless i missinterprted what you ment.
    :devil: Giffer

Comment

allright. what 4" lift did you go to, because it sounds like you have soft springs. you also probobly have worn out yer spring/shackle bushings, replace those with greasable poly shackles/ new bushings. when you put on the shackle lift you may have moved the center of the axle on the spring, because the shackle lift only moves one side of the spring. you also messed up the pinion angle, maybe.. unless you adressed it when you did the shackle lift. I'm not saying much... but enough. get rid of the shackle lift. if you need an extra inch put on a 1" body lift, but no more than 1" !

That floating feeling that makes you oversteer sometimes can be wierd, so make sure the front track bar matches the angle of your steering linkage to eliminate that. I love that feeling, so I dont run any trackbars... but each his own.

hope that helps...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

OK wait a minute did you get SS radials or bias ply. the bias ply make a lot of different. look at the sidewall for the #s if they say 33-12.50-15 they are bias ply and if they say 33-12.50-r 15 they are radial. bias ride ruff and will flat spot.

i want this jeep

Comment

Thanks for the info. Here's more:

I'm not sure what lift was put on (had it done at Dick Cepek 12 years ago). I seem to remember it being one of their own, if they made them. I did replace the bushings on the shackle ends but didn't address the drive angle. The tires are 33x13.5 Swamper LTBs. They're wide, but crappy on the road. They are the cheap Swampers. I'm replacing them with 33x12.5 A/Ts. This should help. The shackles were a pain to get on, I'd hate to take them back off. Although, if I am at risk of breaking stuff, then I might have to. The trans-case was lowered when the lift was installed, but no adjustment was done when the shackles went on. The floating feeling is the slight swaying from left to right without turning the steering wheel. I guess I can handle it if I know it's expected. Thanks again!

Comment

[QUOTE=Kodiak Spirit;100866]That floating feeling that makes you oversteer sometimes can be wierd, so make sure the front track bar matches the angle of your steering linkage to eliminate that. I love that feeling, so I dont run any trackbars... but each his own.

So you run without front and rear track bars? The front sway bar is different, right? So the front track bar and the steering linkage should run parallel? Thanks!

Comment

i run without swaybars or trackbars. i think the reason your jeep drives like that is because of the tires.

Comment

Roy,

I run a 88' YJ with a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift that came with tall shackles. My Mickey Thompson 33" x 12.5" MTZ's run smooth and rather quiet for the aggressive pattern. I removed my front sway bar when I installed a "U-bolt flip kit". I have a little float but it is still stable on the freeway. I run with my track bar and when it came loose and cracked the mount the front end wandered big time. New bracket, some welds to beef it up, back to normal. Check the lower mounting bracket to see if it is bent or cracked. Also, if you go with a 1" body lift, I have a new one in the box that will fit 88' - 94' YJ's.

Mitch

Comment

Wander!

Mine is a 93' as well and I run a 4.5" Superlift which is very stiff! I added a 2" Body Lift and 1 1/4" Shackles. I run 33 x 12.5 15R ProComp Xterrains and I too get a slight wander every now and then, (especially if the road isn't so smooth or the wind is blowing!) The tires are nice and as long as I don't run them fully aired up at the recommended tire pressure they are quiet and smooth. I have played around with different tire pressures and found that if I run to much air in the tires they will float and the ride gets super squirrely! Not enough air and it feels like it's under steering! I typically run them between 25 and 28 lbs on the road. I removed the rear track bar all together and I run a JKS telescoping track bar up front! (Which I love by the way!) At one point I ran mine without the swaybar and the front track bar and it tore up the front tires way to much.... and at $230 a tire I opted put the swaybar back on and went with the disconnects. So far I've had great tire wear and no other problems!

I guess figured it wasn't a Cadillac and I kinda expect it to ride like crap on the highway, I suppose by lifting it up so high and slappin on huge tires that a little wander is inherant! :2:

Scott
                  Last edited by avjeepfreek; 05-05-08, 08:36 AM.
                  "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Well I ordered some new wheels from jegs.com (great price for Cragar wheels) and I'm going to slap on some All-Terrains. I'm confident that will improve my ride a little. I'll pass on the body lift since I seem to have pretty good clearance for 33s as it is. I'll have to mess with some shock extensions and then I should be good to go (for now). Thanks again!

Comment

if you want I have a JKS teloscoping trackbar for the front of yer YJ, I'll sell it to ya cheap. I dont run trackbars or swaybars on my YJ, but each his own... I only used the JKS for about a month before I took it back off. I liked it when I was doing mtn driving, but I really dont do much of that...
                      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                        if you want I have a JKS teloscoping trackbar for the front of yer YJ, I'll sell it to ya cheap.
                        Well, I still have the front track bar installed. I'll see how it goes for now. I appreciate the offer and all the great feedback. Once I get the tires and shocks installed, I'll see how the ride improves.

Comment

JKS Track bar is sold! Thanks Jesse.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                          X