Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs? Which do you prefer and why?

I want to get the most flex, and strength out of my jeep. I use my jeep mostly for the mud.
    Which is the best way to go?
    1. Coil springs
    2. Spring Under Axle
    3. Spring over the axle?

Xtreme

How much lift do you want? What size tires do you want to run? How much flex do you really need?
    Still have the track bar and sway bar attached?
    I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Based on the fact that you said you play mostly in the mud, here is my suggestion:

Leaf springs setup spring-over-axle.

Easier to set-up. You don't have the locating arms for the coil springs.

Provides more than enough clearance for the size tires that I'm sure you'll want to run to play in the mud.

By going SOA, you will have less stuff beneath the axle, which means you will be dragging less stuff really low through the mud.

Just my suggestion.

Erik

Comment

For mud you'll need some height, I agree with Erik, spring over, but make sure you put a traction bar of some sort, with the stock springs wheel hop/spring wrap is a real problem, an axle breaker to be specific...

Comment

You can go with a full bolt-on from Full Traction... Nice kit...
          OR
          You can go with the traditional weld on... Rubicon Express makes a nice kit that comes with the shocks...http://mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=produc...cific=jomqmml4
          http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/Products_01641/

Comment

I wouldnt touch a bolt on kit with a 10 foot pole... It leaves everything hanging below the axle, and I wouldnt trust "bolt on" spring perches for anything.
            Scott
            89 yj with crap and stuff.

Comment

For flex, I'd run coils. For strength, Leafs. Leafs can flex good, but not as good as coils.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
                For flex, I'd run coils. For strength, Leafs. Leafs can flex good, but not as good as coils.
                I need to introduce you to some people I know... Spring under and all, they'll outflex any TJ on the trails. No rear steer issue's either
                I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                  I need to introduce you to some people I know... Spring under and all, they'll outflex any TJ on the trails. No rear steer issue's either
                  Eliptical? Buggy Springs?
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Chris, you don't have to run either of those to get lots of flex.

Long springs.

Check these out for example Holbrook Specialties They make some wicked cool springs for CJs.

I know a guy who runs Dakota springs on a CJ. He gets wicked flex out of them.

Think about the awesome flex you can get out of the back end of a Cherokee, it has leaf springs.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Trailbst
                      Chris, you don't have to run either of those to get lots of flex.

Long springs.

Check these out for example Holbrook Specialties They make some wicked cool springs for CJs.

I know a guy who runs Dakota springs on a CJ. He gets wicked flex out of them.

Think about the awesome flex you can get out of the back end of a Cherokee, it has leaf springs.

Erik
                      Agreed, Those long leafs are cool! Honestly, they both probably flex just as well. I'll probably put leafs in the rear of my TJ, best of both worlds!
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I run stock wrangler springs SOA set up with a extra main leaf added to the pack (cut the eyes off) I get great flex it rides good (stock feel) But I am also running full with chevy blazer axles dana 44 front and GM 12Bolt rear. your gonna need a heavy duty traction/torque bar.
                        75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                          Take it you are talking about EJ and the Rev1 crew?
                          [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
                          AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
                          15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
                          33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
                          FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
                          Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
                          RE Hand Throttle
                          Optima Red Top
                          K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

Working...
                          X