Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy??? Help

Question for all, I am looking at buying a Wrangler and have seen a few that could be an addition to my family. The one that seems like a good buy is a 91 wrangler w/ hard top, a 6cyl and an auto for $6500. It has 171 k miles. It has been lifted 4", 33" tires on black cragar wheels, and has a 4x4 Posi-Loc. What is a 4x4 Posi-Loc and are they any good. I am also looking at a 92 soft top w/ 123 k miles, 4 cyl and a 5 speed, lifted 4.5 rubicon, 33" pro comps on XD Assult wheels, 4.88 gears in rear, Superior R/P 30 spline axels in rear w/ Auburn Ected Electric Locker in rear. It has the Smitty built SRC rear and front bumpers. It has some other mods and the ticket price on this one is $7500. I am little concerned about the power and reliability of a 4 banger. Any suggestions or input. The difference in cost isn't a biggy, just want to get the jeep that would best suit the addition.
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Kirk,

The "4x4 Posi-Loc" replaces the often failing vacuum system for engaging 4 wheel drive. You shift the transfer case into 4 wheel drive and then pull the cable on the Pos-Loc. When not needed, you shift the transfer case back to 2 wheel drive and push the cable button back in. One nice feature is this allows you to run a true 2 wheel drive in low range. It is a $200.00 part. My vacuum system never worked and I found out hard way when I really needed it. So for me the Pos-Loc has been a good thing.

Comment

Ok 88, so this isn't a locker then, right. I know the add on this jeep stated that when the front axle is locked with Posi-Loc, you can disengage the pasenger side axle so you don't get wheel hop. Does that sound right? I dont have this on my Cherokee so I'm sorry if I sound alittle 4x4 illiterate..lol. This wrangler thing is new to me.
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

You will not be happy with the 4 cly
        The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
          Ok 88, so this isn't a locker then, right. I know the add on this jeep stated that when the front axle is locked with Posi-Loc, you can disengage the pasenger side axle so you don't get wheel hop. Does that sound right? I dont have this on my Cherokee so I'm sorry if I sound alittle 4x4 illiterate..lol. This wrangler thing is new to me.
          I put that posi-loc on my old 90 YJ for the same reason, the vacuum lines. This product is only to connect the front axle together. Meaning, the old 30's (dana 30) on the YJ's were a two piece design, and when you put the transfer case into 4wd, high or low, a valve would kick on and create a vacuum. That, in turn went to a diaphragm that linked to a little shift fork. That fork is riding on a collar. The collar then slid over the shorter axle (pass side), connecting the two axles making them one.
          Unless the differential has been upgraded, it is a fully open diff.
          The posi product does nothing for helping traction or wheel hop.
          It's merely an upgrade to the factory design. The benefit, however, as stated in this thread, is the ability to go to 2wd low. Makes it easier to make really tight turns.

Either way, it's good to have that upgrade on those axle setups.
          Hope this helped.
          David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
          I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

I hate to give this away, but ther is a really clean 91 YJ for sale on the vehicle forum here, its got decent miles, super clean and 4.0 auto... I think $5000 or so takes it, it hasnt been messed with, so it would be a good starter jeep, you can build how you like without cleaning up other peoples screwups...
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

kodiak, the 91 you were talking about, is it completely stock and do you know who was selling it?

Comment

it has an aftermarket stereo... but yeah I know the guy that's selling it...

Comment

the guy selling it is Tool Pimp , I want to buy that jeep so bad, but I can't.... might as well go to you...

Comment

Working...
                  X