Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ Spring options

I am converting to a Spring Over Axle setup on mine.

I was wondering what kind of springs are offered that are heavy duty and can handle a good load up front and keep some articulation properties.

The guy I bout the axles from said he had some spring wrap problems...... is there anything I can do right now to eliminate that?

I do plan on going to a complete 4 link system front and rear I just don't have the time or the funds to complete that job by my deadline to get her up and running.
    80 cj5- under going sbc swap, dana 60 and 14 bolt sping overs
    86 cj7- stock.

I have alcan springs and I have been happy with them. They bare very helpful in building your springs for your particular application. If you have a tire carrier or winch they will adjust for the weight to make the jeep ride flat. You can also get as much or little lift as you want. I found that with the spring over some sort of wrap bar is a nessecity. hope this helps
    '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

Check out these from MORE offroad. I don't have any experience with them but they sound like they would work until you get your 3-4 link installed. Click on the link below and go to the Catalog tab on the left, there towards the bottom.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm
      Check out .

Comment

I too run SOA as the pocket book does not yet allow for a 4 link set-up, so I am familiar with this issue. The best SOA springs I have come accross are the Rubicon Express SOA springs (Part #RE1444). They have a reverse eye set-up that allows for a lot of articulation. You would need to convert to YJ springs (2.5 inch springs), but that is pretty inexpensive. If you do not wish to go that route, the BDS springs have also served me well.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I'll look into those alcan springs. I want to get this thing going ASAP... I also have another engine thats gunna be going in here soon also. I hope to have it all together by spring break(not in school... but I still act like it lol)

I'm not sure what I'm gunna do for the sake of axle rap.. but if a longer spring perch is needed all I need to do is extend the ones that are on the axles

I'm gunna get my motor in it first... which I hope to do by the end of the month... I'm waiting on my engine mounts, conversion bellhousing and a few other engine parts.

I'm gunna contact blue torch fabs and see if the setup that have is shackle reversal compatible
          86 cj7- stock.

Comment

I run 1" lift Rancho springs with my spring over. They have served me well.

One way to help prevent axle wrap is something like this:
            http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/
            84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

not a bad idea... but why weld the bar to the differential? IMO it would have been better to extend the height of the truss that they had made and joined the bar to the crossmember there IMO
              86 cj7- stock.

Comment

That is a good looking wrap bar. Mine is more of the standard muscle car style ladder running forward. I bet it restricts flex more then that system.
                '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

pics??
                  86 cj7- stock.

Comment

Originally posted by joshua99ta View Post
                    pics??
                    I'd love to go out side and take some for you. unfortunately for that idea we have had 180 inches of snow this year and there is about six feet on the yard right now. The underside of the jeep is a little buried. I hope yours is done before mine melts out!

Comment

Alcan Spring

Alcan in Grand Junction CO will make your springs with poly bushings, rubber bushings or their special ultra flexible joint like a Johnny-Joint type of arangement. They can build reverse eyes, standard eyes, standard 2" width or YJ style 2 1/2" and they will tailor the spring to the weight of your Jeep. If you can weigh your Jeep that is best, otherwise estimate by telling them what you have (aka: hard top, winch armor, V8, rack, tire carrier accessories, crusher corner armor...) You can also specify if you are going to run a SOA & Shackle reversal as well because they can stretch the wheelbase of the jeep by offsetting the centering pins so you don't have to trim the back of your fender wells or rock sliders to clear flex when turning and stuffing. These guys have made several sets of springs for me over the past half dozen years and have yet to have a set bend or break on any of the SOA applications I have used them on. Typically I set 6 or 8 cylinder CJ's or YJ's up with 2 1/2" springs front and rear, set them to be 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" of lift on top of the SOA so they clear 37" tires with no problems. You can order them with no extra lift to clear 35's especially if a 1" body lift is utilized. These springs are hot wound with snail or military ends and tend to resist wrapping unless tremendous power from a built V8 is applied. Also you'll want the cast or gusset style spring hangers that cannot unwind for your CJ-7. Talk to Alcan about what kind of wheeling you intend to do, Tire size, SOA or SUA and what kind of powertrain you intend on running so they can build your custom springs right the first time for just a few dollars more than some "made in india" big-box-brand lift companies crap springs (you know who you are). These are made in USA by Americans for Americans with of all things.... American steel!
                      " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
                      Rick W6RE

Comment

Originally posted by cannon View Post
                        I'd love to go out side and take some for you. unfortunately for that idea we have had 180 inches of snow this year and there is about six feet on the yard right now. The underside of the jeep is a little buried. I hope yours is done before mine melts out!
                        hahahaha that sux!!!!

looks like I'm gunna get set back a little on mine. I f***ed my shoulder the other night bowling of all things( i fell and landed right on it) so I can't use it to work on anything right now.

I thought I had broken it... but its ok.... I have bad shoulders anyway... It'll be back to new in about 2 months(it sometimes takes that long for it to get back to normal) but i plan on having her back going by then SOME HOW
                        86 cj7- stock.

Comment

soon as I get my motor in I'll go ahead and get a weight of the rig. I'll mostly be mudd riding and some trails. We don't have much stuff around here that consists of any rock crawling. So flex isnt the biggest issue really... yet I do want some good flex in case I ever do run into some good stuff!

I'ma look up alcan's number for sure!

Originally posted by OllllllO View Post
                          Alcan in Grand Junction CO will make your springs with poly bushings, rubber bushings or their special ultra flexible joint like a Johnny-Joint type of arangement. They can build reverse eyes, standard eyes, standard 2" width or YJ style 2 1/2" and they will tailor the spring to the weight of your Jeep. If you can weigh your Jeep that is best, otherwise estimate by telling them what you have (aka: hard top, winch armor, V8, rack, tire carrier accessories, crusher corner armor...) You can also specify if you are going to run a SOA & Shackle reversal as well because they can stretch the wheelbase of the jeep by offsetting the centering pins so you don't have to trim the back of your fender wells or rock sliders to clear flex when turning and stuffing. These guys have made several sets of springs for me over the past half dozen years and have yet to have a set bend or break on any of the SOA applications I have used them on. Typically I set 6 or 8 cylinder CJ's or YJ's up with 2 1/2" springs front and rear, set them to be 1 1/2 to 2 1/2" of lift on top of the SOA so they clear 37" tires with no problems. You can order them with no extra lift to clear 35's especially if a 1" body lift is utilized. These springs are hot wound with snail or military ends and tend to resist wrapping unless tremendous power from a built V8 is applied. Also you'll want the cast or gusset style spring hangers that cannot unwind for your CJ-7. Talk to Alcan about what kind of wheeling you intend to do, Tire size, SOA or SUA and what kind of powertrain you intend on running so they can build your custom springs right the first time for just a few dollars more than some "made in india" big-box-brand lift companies crap springs (you know who you are). These are made in USA by Americans for Americans with of all things.... American steel!
                          86 cj7- stock.

Comment

Working...
                          X