Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Recall ?

So I took my 06 Rubi to the Stealership to see about a squeek (I think it's one of my belts) and figured I'd get an oil change while I was at it. I was informed of a recall on my clutch push rod and they "took care" of that too. Now my clutch is very short and as soon as I take my foot of the floor even by a hair, the clutch engages and it feels like I've only got a couple of inches worth of sweet spot, whereas I had much more before. Anyone else had this work done and have the same feel? I got the impression from the Service Guy that they didn't even check the squeek and I'm really questioning whether or not they even did the oil change, that I paid for . . . anyone know what color the filter the Stealerships use and if it says Mopar on it?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I work for a dealership in Hanford. For a 4.0L It should be a short black filter with Mopar on it. The last 3 # of part number are 090. Thats what we use. As far as the clutch, havent herd anything like that. Hope this helps ya.

Dave

Comment

i would question anything strange about work done on your jeep, especially if it comes out worse than when it went in. maybe talk to someone there and tell them your problem. the more you ask them to explain what is going on, the easier it is to see if they know what they are talking about. i dont know too much about dealership machanics, but if it feels that bad right from the start, you should really go in and say something or talk to a manager.

Comment

Yeah looks like I'll have to take it back . . . I just hate to take it back to a place that I obviously can't trust. Thanks for the info on the filter . . . I thought it would be black, yet the one I have is white and seems to have way too much dust from wheelin' to have been put on today and never seen the dirt. So I took it in for a squeek that they didn't check and and an oil change that they didn't do, and a recall that now feels worse. Anyone had good luck with a dealerhip in the valley???

Comment

I cant speak for the rest of them, but I do the best job I possably can. Cuz I know how it is to bring your vehicle back in for the same problem. Plus I love what I do. Especially with jeeps.

Comment

Originally posted by trickcomanche View Post
            I cant speak for the rest of them, but I do the best job I possably can. Cuz I know how it is to bring your vehicle back in for the same problem. Plus I love what I do. Especially with jeeps.
            I hear ya and I'm sure that there are a lot of great mechanics/dealerships that care about the work they do, but it sure is frustrating when you have to deal with those that don't. When I push down the clutch, the first 2/3 or so of the travel does nothing . . . it's only the last (bottom) 1/3 that seems to engage the clutch. This doesn't sound right does it??? I'm wondering if they adjusted the clutch after removing/replacing the push rod. I know it's kinda stupid but even though it's only 20 bucks, the thing that eats me the most is the oil filter/change, had they done that, I could have explained the other things away rather than feeling ripped off!!!

Comment

I have an 06 rubicon with 6 speed also and have not recieved anything about the clutch recall,
              moon buggy
              5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep Virgin View Post
                I have an 06 rubicon with 6 speed also and have not recieved anything about the clutch recall,
                I bought mine used about 6 months ago and noticed the Recall Notice on the CarFax Report. I forgot to bring it up, but the dealership told me about it when they ran my VIN. Based on the paperwork, it sounds like they had a problem with the master cylinder leaking so they replace the push rod. I figured I would have received something from Jeep too as I filled out the new owner paperwork and mailed it in, but nada. The service rep said this was the first he'd heard of it, but they started the recall over a year ago apparently. Yippee . . . back to shop I go!!!

Comment

Hey Joe, what dealership did you take it to?
                  David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                  I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                    I hear ya and I'm sure that there are a lot of great mechanics/dealerships that care about the work they do, but it sure is frustrating when you have to deal with those that don't. When I push down the clutch, the first 2/3 or so of the travel does nothing . . . it's only the last (bottom) 1/3 that seems to engage the clutch. This doesn't sound right does it??? I'm wondering if they adjusted the clutch after removing/replacing the push rod. I know it's kinda stupid but even though it's only 20 bucks, the thing that eats me the most is the oil filter/change, had they done that, I could have explained the other things away rather than feeling ripped off!!!
                    It's only 20 bucks now, but if you do that 3 or 4 times, and have REALLY REALLY bad oil in there, it'll be your engine blown... better get that taken care of!
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by highway420 View Post
                      Hey Joe, what dealership did you take it to?
                      Canoga Park / David Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                        When I push down the clutch, the first 2/3 or so of the travel does nothing . . . it's only the last (bottom) 1/3 that seems to engage the clutch. This doesn't sound right does it??? I'm wondering if they adjusted the clutch after removing/replacing the push rod.
                        it sounds like they adjusted it and may have gone too far the wrong way. i'd drive it for a few weeks and see if it loosens up. if it doesn't i'd have them adjust it again.

although they're all totally different, in my experience, a new clutch will catch very close to the floor and release immediately with very little play, until it breaks in and then drives normally after a few weeks. if they adjusted it, it may be re-set to factory which is why it feels like this.

just a side note, i also heard from one of my old mechanics that you should have it adjusted at every oil change, and it will practically last forever, although i haven't run one it's entire life to confirm this.

good luck on the oil change. i wouldn't put it past a dealer to try and pull one over on someone.
                        03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Well I called and spoke with the service rep that I dealt with on Sat. I'll be taking it back in tomorrow to get the clutch taken care of, he explained that it shouldn't feel funny and will not self adjust, stretch, etc so they must have not adjusted it (my bet) or not adjusted it properly. I also brought up the oil filter and when he heard it wasn't a Mopar filter, he immediately said "that's not right" and that he'll take care of it all tomorrow . . . so we'll see . . . keepin my fingers crossed!!! Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll even check out the squeek??? I'll keep you posted.

Comment

That's crappy news...I have taken my Jeep over to Canoga/Ellis,....
                            I always feel weird about dealerships, but then again, I try to check what they have done right away. When they pull the Jeep up to give it back to me, the first thing I do is open the hood ( and look for what ever was supposed to be worked on ).

Even if you don't know what you are looking for, it gives them the impression that you do. Just make it look like you are giving it an inspection, if you aren't already...

BTW.....I thought our clutches were hydraulic, meaning....'self-adjusting'....doesn't it share the reservoir with brakes???
                            David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                            I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by highway420 View Post
                              BTW.....I thought our clutches were hydraulic, meaning....'self-adjusting'....doesn't it share the reservoir with brakes???

Not sure, but I specifically asked if the clutch would "self adjust", and the service rep mentioned it would not. Hey David, have you heard anything about the recall . . . I think it began back in 8/06. I'll be back at the dealership tomorrow bright and early and hopefully will have better luck. The clutch feels really weird . . . I've almost always driven a stick and this just doesn't feel right.

Comment

Working...
                              X