Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schrockworks Rear Bumper

Got my Schrockworks Rear Bumper installed on the 2005 Unlimited...finally. Must have had the parts for the better part of 6 weeks before I found a break in work to get it done...and even then it was "step-by-step" over a series of nights.

Really like Schrockworks products, and had their rock sliders on my old Xterra. It is a small shop and it takes a while between ordering and delivering, but I have always found it worth the wait.

Here is the kit...

Put together and ready to install...

And on the rig...

Only problem I had is with the frame supports. You don't really need these for just the added weight of the bumper with a hi-lift and stock spare tire. However, the extra weight combined with towing, or beating it up on the trail, could pose a problem. And, when I go to bigger, heavier tires...

Anyway, they sent two driver side supports vice one driver and one passenger. Still sorting that out. Their customer support was very prompt and helpful, but a little miscommunication must have occurred as I now am the proud owner of three of driver side supports...

We'll get that straightened out. A few other improvements that could be made to the overall design of the kit...

1. Need about another 1/4" on the bolts that hold the bumper to the frame. With the added thickness of the frame support, lock washers, flat washers and the like, it is a near run thing on having enough thread to engage the nuts...

2. Which brings up the last item. On the bumper, rather than spot weld the mounting nuts to the bumper itself, they came as a plate. I can't speak for everyone, but I am pretty sure that most people do not have the hands to hold the plate in place, within the bumper, up behind the frame, while trying to thread the bolts through the frame support, etc...what the hell does that all mean? It means it was really hard...you get the idea. What I ended up doing was duct taping the plate into place on the inside of the bumper which allowed me to concentrate on the frame support and getting the bolts threaded.

Of course, this was all before I realized that I was missing the other frame support...so I look forward to that challenge.

In the end, enjoyed myself, bumper looks good, and it is functional...which was the whole point in the first place.

SJK SENDS

Nice work! I need to get a rear bumper to get my 33 off the tailgate. I have it tight, so it doesn't really wiggle, but that's just buying time. I still need something like this! Let me know how you like the shrockworks after a month or two!
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Okay - I admit it...I suck.

It is Shrockworks...as in www.shrockworks.com/

What makes me the biggest loser is I'll be damned if I can figure out how to edit my original post so I can look less like a moron.

But according to many, looking like a moron is my natural state of rest.

Comment

Working...
      X