Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a new Jeep, good deal or no?

I've been looking for a 4.0L lately, came across one at a used car dealer that caught my eye. Need everyones expert opinions. I couldnt drive it yet, didnt have time, will on Monday though. I've seen it driving around beofre though and it was always quiet and healthy sounding.

The 411...

cute blonde chick previous owner
    2001 TJ Sport 4.0L (yellow! gotta be yellow!)
    3 speed auto
    air, tilt, cruise, cd
    full steel doors
    hard top, soft top, and possibly a tonnaeu cover (all mint)
    6" fender flares (faded)
    4" Pro Comp lift (looks in good shape)
    NEW 33x12.5 MTR's on aftermarket rims with full size spare
    33x10.5 Dueler something or others snow tires on aftermarket rims (decent tread)
    swing away tire carrier

Paint is great cept typical nicks around the doors and mirrors. Motor is spotless, underbody is fairly clean with typical road abuse on shocks, ect... The frame was coated with black paint though...? makes me kinda questionable but everything else is decent so I would hope that is the same.

Interior is good shape. Some scratches in dash but nothing major. No breaks on window frames, no bends.

Pretty damn clean all around.

Dealer replaced rear drivers wheel bearing and adjusted trac-bars. Passed whatever point inspection they do. Clean carfax.

Everything said and done it would be $14,050 out the door. To me thats a little high but I dont know what mods would do to the value.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Only if the cute chick comes with it.
    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Danabee View Post
      Only if the cute chick comes with it.
      thats exactly what i was going to say. but price wise for the jeep i would have to say, ball park 9k
      97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

yeah, your paying for financing, up-front apparently.

But is the payment where you want to be? does it have a D44 rear axle?

Check that rear axle, for that cash, you better not get a D35..
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Payments are a little more than i pay now due to my credit score and the interest rate I can get... bout $300/mo which doesnt bother me any.

Will check on the axle. Was the D44 an option with the 4.0L or is it something the previous owner would have installed?

I'm leaving f or Nat'l Guard training in Jan. Original plan was to get a stock southern (no rust) 4.0l TJ when I get home in Aug, but this one is clean and already has a lift and tires so thats why I was checking into it. Still kinda leaning towards just waiting til I get home from training.
          Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

the D44 is an option, and sometimes people get them without even knowing it! I think the problem is, most people buying brand new wranglers don't know what they need to look for to seriously wheel, so not a lot of D44's are purchased with that in mind.

having said that, if you git a jeep with the D35 rear end, you will at some time, prolly want to upgrade to a D44 or a ford 9" or 8.8, and it will cost you anywhere from $800-$3,000 to do that upgrade, so if the thing has a D44 rear end, the price just got sweeter...

you can wheel the crap out of it on those 33's if it's got a 44...

Comment

Well, I think it does have a D44 in the rear...

I checked some sites online and the pics look the same, and it looks different than my TJ which I know has a D35...

I found a few things that I am going to try and use to drop the price...

One tires has a nail in it, but its just into a lug and not through the tire. The guy I talked to didnt know much of anything about the Jeep or anything in general about off-road so I might be able to convince him its going to need a new tire and that tire isnt cheap.

Also found some rust starting behind the spare tire along the bottom of the tub. Nothing serious but needs attention, plus some spots that were touched up on other areas so I will try talking him down with that as well.

The tire carrier needs some cleaning up as well.

Will talk to him some more about it tomorrow. It's pretty much exactly what I want, and its already done for me. To start fresh would cost me about the same in the long run anyways if not a lil more, and I would have to wait to get it done unless I can find someone to do it for me, and that would cost me even more then so...I will see what I can work out.
              Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

sweet luck with that axle man, I really got to say that axle is worth some cash right there. good find! and if it makes you happy and gits you on the trail, that's what Jeepin' is all about!

Comment

is that the jeep? lets see some beer pics. from the looks of it, those tires are not new... but yea im still thinking way too high on the price. Kelly blue book it
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                    is that the jeep? lets see some beer pics. from the looks of it, those tires are not new... but yea im still thinking way too high on the price. Kelly blue book it
                    Yeah I noticed that in the pics the tires look worn down but they really arent that bad. They have a few miles on them but not very many at all. And they are BFG MT's, not MTR's, but still a good tire from what I know.

KBB in excellent condition is $12,480, KBB price a lot higher than I expected... I thought i came up with lower last time I checked...? Considering the paint needs a little attention hopefully I can drop the price closer to KBB's.

I will snap some pics today when I got talk to the guy more. Gona go for a drive in it as well, maybe take it to the armory and lift it up, check for cracked or loose bushings and what-not.
                    Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

I didnt get pics, but the guy has it up on his site.

http://www.autobase.com/cgi/info.exe...ealer=excelmtr
                      Yellow 01 Sport

Comment

Its from MN I would stay away from it.There are too many jeeps for sale with zero rust in ca.I know what happens there,i lived there. Just get the chick and ditch the jeep!

Comment

HELLO! crawlin92 is from MN!!

why would he buy a jeep an CA?

Comment

That a pretty nice jeep, i cant compare prices becuase up here in canada that jeep would go for around 20'000 to 25'000, which is rediculas considering our dollar is worth more. but i would go for it. just throw on some black rims and you'll be set

Comment

Well, here is something to compare the asking price of this jeep to. Some time this spring I bought my 04 rubi with 20k some miles on it. Mint. I mean mint! I gave 17k. So I would talk them down a bit more. Just remember there are other jeeps out there.
                              If your not completely happy, walk.

Comment

Working...
                              X