Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31" or 32" MTRs ???

I'm planning to go to the Pamona Off Road Convention this weekend and figured I'd see if I could get a sweet deal on some new tires. I've got a basically stock 06 Rubi w/ a Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost. I've been told that the 32's are fine even stock but then heard that once I'm disconnected, the 32's will rub if I flex and spacers may be needed:dunno: I usually air down when I disconnect and wondered if that would be enough to make up for the extra diameter. I like the idea of picking up a bit of clearance for my diffs but want to make sure I'm not sacrificing too much performance.

Stock 31 MTR = 245/75/16 Diameter = 30.7
    32 MTR = 265/75/16 Diameter = 31.9
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

To tell you the truth, niether...

I personally dont like MT/Rs when i had them they sucked in the rain and snow... and they are LOUD! but for dry and rocks they were awsome...

Since i drive A LOT and I partially live in Running Springs, wet traction is a big deal for me.

IMO, there are much better tires for a much better price out there...

and as for size i would say just do the 32s, im sure eventually you'll get a lift to take away all the rubbing. Just make sure you bumpstop correctly.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I dig MTR's and think the're a fairly good all around tire but mostly for the rocks but I would'nt buy them new, can't afford them! I've always found them on the net at a good price used . On the other hand I had the same 32" BFG MT's for the last 4 years (now on my XJ) and they got alot of tread on them still! Great on the street, snow, mud. Quiet too.
      “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
      -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Are these 33's? Anyway I'd lowball this guy ($300-500) , tires look a little low.
        http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/pts/439104565.html
        “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
        -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Yup those are in fact 285's...just gotta zoom in on the page a little.
          WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
          [_____]
          (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
          []--o---[]

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post

and as for size i would say just do the 32s, im sure eventually you'll get a lift to take away all the rubbing. Just make sure you bumpstop correctly.

Pardon my ignorance, but how exactly do you bumpstop correctly? Is it an adjustment that I can make myself, do I need to buy spacers, etc? Will the 2" Budget Boost that I have be enough of a lift to take care of the rubbing or will I still need to mess with the bumpstop?

Comment

you should be completely fine with the 2" bb and 32s...thats what i was getting ready to go to, but getting rid of jeep now. I know a lot of people with 2" BB and 1.25 mml and bl that run 33s. as far as MTRs I ran them...loved them in snow, mud, rocks...I ran into a telephone pole do to lack of traction in the rain though...and YES they are EXTREMELY loud! Check out the Maxxis bighorns...heard lots of good things about them...quiet, great traction all around, and pretty good cost.
              Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

Yo Schmo,

If you are still looking, I have noticed that Pro Comp Tires are "buy 3, get one free" this month. Just another idea.

Mitch

Comment

Yeah you should be fine with the 2" BB i thought you were completly stock, and yes you just have to buy extended bumpstops if you do end up needing them. Theyre pretty cheap so no worries.

If i were to pick a tire id go with TrXus MTs, Baja Claws, or Bighorns. just fyi.
                  |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

The MTRs do seem pretty expensive, but I've had good luck with them so far and like the thick side wall as I don't want to lose too much diameter seeing that I'll only be running 32's. I'm here in SoCal so it's mostly dirt and rocks. How many miles do you guys usually get out of a set of tires anyway . . . I've got 17K on mine and looks like I'm down to about 30%. Anybody know if they do the mounting/balancing at the Pamona Convention or just sell the rubber?

Comment

joe, i was talking to malachi about this recently and based on his experience you won't be able to fit 32's.

you may not even be able to go bigger than 31's with only a BB.

mike, chime in with your comments?
                      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

285=32.8
                        305=32.81

I still can't believe that a 245/75/16 MT/R is only a 30.5 tire
                        it just looks big. Schmo, im doing a tire swap soon too and in the same boat as you....What to use???
                        The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Hello all, I have a set of allterrian tires 31.10.50,S I,m looking to sell only about 1000 miles on them..Reason is I just bought 33x12.50,S mud tires.Just thought I,d post that I know I,m in the wrong site..sorry bout that ..lol.anyway I,m asking 350 for the set paid right around 600..Thanks Geeb..
                          "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
                            joe, i was talking to malachi about this recently and based on his experience you won't be able to fit 32's.

you may not even be able to go bigger than 31's with only a BB.

mike, chime in with your comments?

Hey Mike,

I remember you saying something about Malachi having rubbing issues with his 32's . . . kinda why I posted up this thread. Everything else I've heard is that the 32's will be fine but I might need to add a bumpstops to the front (I've got the RE 2" BB so I stopped by the RE booth at Expo and was told the same thing). Another ? to throw out there . . . If I do need bumpstops, how big should they be? The smallest I've seen is 2" which seemed like I'd be losing a lot of flex which might not even make up for the 1/2" of clearance I'd gain from the 32's (then agian, I have no idea how all this works or if my logic is sound). At this point my 31's (30.5 or whatever they really are)are only measuring 29.5 so even if I just get new 31's I'll be higher for a while! I just don't want to get the 32's and have issues.

Comment

Alright . . . I'm really leaning towards the 32s, but in talking with someone running them now it sounds like I will need to put some bumpstops on the front. What would be the right size bumpstops to run to maximize articulation without stuffing the tire in the wheel well? Are there different kinds, and if so, what would you recommend?

Comment

Working...
                              X