Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socal lift & tire question

I am getting a new lift and tire for my 80 CJ7. I was looking at getting a 3 inch spring lift, with 3/4 inch shackles and some 33 X 12.5 tire. Do you guy think that will be enough for hitting some of the more aggressive trails in southern california?
    If not, what size and kind work out for a rig on a budget?

Originally posted by DEADMEAT View Post
    I am getting a new lift and tire for my 80 CJ7. I was looking at getting a 3 inch spring lift, with 3/4 inch shackles and some 33 X 12.5 tire. Do you guy think that will be enough for hitting some of the more aggressive trails in southern california?
    If not, what size and kind work out for a rig on a budget?
    Please define agressive. :yay:
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

33's will get you through quite a few trails like rubicon, calico, and even a couple trails at johnson valley but if your looking for agressive you should look into getting lockers, or at least a rear locker
      97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Duke69 has a point. There is aggressive and there is AGGRESSIVE! in SoCal.

If you want to run most of the trails, but not the Doran entrance, or the Hammers, then 33's will get you through.

You need to say how aggressive you want to go. What you are describing will get you through Big Bear. How tough a trail do you want to do?
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

a stock 80 CJ7 will get through big bear, you may just get a few scratches along the way. i would also recommend the lift just to keep your underside off the rocks.

x2 think about lockers and then your rig should be set to go for quite a while running most trails.
          03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

I'm not so sure I'd agree with 33" tires being something I want to take through Johnson Valley or trails like Doran in Calico. Possible yes but 35" is the usual minimum for those trails. And the way they're getting dug out, even 35" is getting near marginal, at least in my experience.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

The harder Johnson Valley trails would definatly be more than enough of a trail for now. I know i need to get a good lift and at least a locker or 2. I just dont want to go spend the time and money on 33s to find that they are not enough to get through some of the trails.
              Thanks for the advise, 35s it is

Comment

I took my Willys through Doran and Odessa on 32s with no problem (expect bypassed the gate keeper). IMO if there's limited money to be spent now, put it into a rear locker. I'd rather have the traction on both tires than an extra one inch of ground clearance you get going from 33s to 35s.

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                I'm not so sure I'd agree with 33" tires being something I want to take through Johnson Valley or trails like Doran in Calico. Possible yes but 35" is the usual minimum for those trails. And the way they're getting dug out, even 35" is getting near marginal, at least in my experience.
                Mike in Vista
                1942 Willys MB, 1956 Willys Wagon

Comment

Don't forget gears to turn those new shoes.

I run 33's w/4:56 manual trans but don't run the ultra aggressive trails and don't plan to either but we still have a great time never the less.

Cheers, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by mpc View Post
                    I took my Willys through Doran and Odessa on 32s with no problem (expect bypassed the gate keeper). IMO if there's limited money to be spent now, put it into a rear locker. I'd rather have the traction on both tires than an extra one inch of ground clearance you get going from 33s to 35s.
                    Sure but what's Doran if you have to take the bypass past the Gatekeeper?

Comment

Sure but what's Doran if you have to take the bypass past the Gatekeeper?
                      You tell us Jerry- I'm fairly certain you havent run the entrance since it kicked your ass several years ago. JV Rookie Run aside, what have you been running lately that is more challenging then Doran (less the entrance)?:tongue::homer::cactus:

hehe

[sized]http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/gallery/files/1/3/S_DSCN1712.jpg[/sized]

[sized]http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/gallery/files/1/3/S_DSCN1713.jpg[/sized]
                      2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                      Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by mpc View Post
                        Actually...the price difference between 33's and 35's was about $9 per tire for my BFG MT's.

HOWEVER, I was turning my 32" AT's pretty easily, and now I'm on 35's, it sucks...cuz I can't yet afford to regear!

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                          You tell us Jerry- I'm fairly certain you havent run the entrance since it kicked your ass several years ago. JV Rookie Run aside, what have you been running lately that is more challenging then Doran (less the entrance)?:tongue::homer::cactus:

hehe

[sized]http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/gallery/files/1/3/S_DSCN1712.jpg[/sized]

[sized]http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/gallery/files/1/3/S_DSCN1713.jpg[/sized]
                          I've never done Doran without doing the gatekeeper opening. That was about my fourth run up the Gatekeeper and that one time did kick my ass... but I've run it since then with less drama. Hey, at least I made it that even that time without being winched. Come run Pumpkin Eater next time with me, you'll see another run that gives Sledgehammer a run for its money. Come to think, did you drive through the Gatekeeper or did you take the bypass that day?
                          Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 09-16-07, 07:48 PM.

Comment

I've never done Doran without doing the gatekeeper opening. That was about my fourth run up the Gatekeeper and that one time did kick my ass... but I've run it since then with less drama. Hey, at least I made it that even that time without being winched. Come run Pumpkin Eater next time with me, you'll see another run that gives Sledgehammer a run for its money. Come to think, did you drive through the Gatekeeper or did you take the bypass that day?
                            When's the Pumpkin Eater run? We'd love to go!

P.S. IIRC Tam was on the trail with 31's
                            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                              P.S. IIRC Tam was on the trail with 31's
                              YUP! I was there watching Tam run Pumkin Eater; she wailed on it!
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X