Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss/slip in 88 MJ?

Hi,

I just got my 88 Comanche on september 1st. It is a 4.0/5 speed truck 4x4. Ok so it is great so far till I started noticing and it has slowly gotten worse.

Ok this only seems to happen when I just start to drive it after it has sat anytime over a couple of hours. So I will be driving along and it seems that something is messed up with either the engine or clutch.

Anyway it seems to pulse or cut out when you get towards middle to the top end of a gear in about 1st-4th gears. I mean I would think it is a miss but it doesn't totally feel like a missing engine. It seems to idle fine. After it has drove alittle it will be fine.

Also it seems harder to get into 2nd gear when it is cold. It shifts great and I have never had issues with take off from a dead stop with the clutch. The MJ in 5th gear will act like a semi with a big load is a good way to put it. It will be fine on flat areas but if there is even a slight incline I have to give it way more gas and the speed will still go down. That will happen at 80 mph on the interstate or a 60 on the highway.

So does anyone have an idea what this could be? This is only my 2nd vehical I have owned that has been a manual and the first I didn't own long enough to have any clutch issues so I don't know what I am looking for here.

Thanks!

First I would like to say welcome, 2nd I know nothing about what your talking about...although someone on else i here probably does. and 3rd what part of Nebraska? I grew up in Kansas
    Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

I am thinking the bearings/ bushings in the tranny are tired and allowing mis-alignment of the gearset. I have herd several people have this same kind of problem, and when they pull the tranny apart, they see they just need a rebuild.

There was a rebuild post here at MJR not to long ago... I think the job is not as bad as it sounds because some guys were doing it themselves at the house.

Anyone got a link to that post?
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Hmm that could be. Thanks, yeah if anyone has a link that would be great.

Comment

Working...
        X