Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use to clean frame?

Planning on cleaning up my frame really well before the snow/salt hits. How do you guys usually go about it? Was thinking of Rhino Lining it but dunno if I really want to go that route cuz if any water gets under it then it will sit and rust.

Ideas throw em out.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

OK........this is going to sound real wussy, but I was washing the jeep one day and thought the exact same thing. The frame was stained a whitish color. Just years of dirt. Any way I washed it with carwash and a rag, it looks brand new under all that dirt. It only took about 30 min to do.

I don't mind getting it dirty but I'm really anal getting it clean right after I wheel.

FWIW

Rob

Comment

get a stiff tire scrubbing brush, climb underneath the truck, and scrub away. a rag would probably work too, but i found that it's great to have a tool you can really abuse to get off all the crap which is probably stuck on there.

Also Black&Tan TJ taught me a little trick, which is to add tire shine to some water and spray on the entire undercarriage after you've cleaned everything, which basically adds a layer of protectant to make future clean up easier. i'm guessing this would be a great idea for the minnesota winter.

:thumbs_up
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

How about removing the old undercoating? Anyone have any shortcuts for that? The CJ needs serious frame work and I want to get all the old crap off and after my work is done, put new crap back on.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

i think a pressure washer would work really good but it would be a good idea to do it on a warm day because you would probably get really wet.
          97' TJ, tera low 4:1, 60 HP rear, 44 HP front, arb, custom LA suspension, 37" MTR, warn xd9000i

Comment

Trust me, it's going to be VERY warm here today. :wink:

But I've hit it with the pressure washer and the steam cleaner too. I'm at the point of going chemical on it's a$$.

Comment

what i like to use is oven cleaner and a pressure washer but its not the best for mother nature that the bad part but it works pretty good
              BS Fab: 'Cause Close is Good Enough...

Comment

http://www.superclean.com/intro.html

this stuf really works.
                it will clean your concrete driveway as well.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Haha forgot most of you don't have to deal with salt on the roads. My frame is getting the rusty look. Not bad yet but def needs attention. Thats why I was thinking of Rhino Lining it or something along those lines.
                  Yellow 01 Sport
                  4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

Originally posted by jeepen_mike View Post
                    what i like to use is oven cleaner and a pressure washer but its not the best for mother nature that the bad part but it works pretty good
                    I wonder what that would do to an oil/water seperator drain....

Comment

who knows what it does..... thats why you do it over dirt and pick up whats the left over from the dirt
                      BS Fab: 'Cause Close is Good Enough...

Comment

Working...
                      X