Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Surgery this Week; Can you PLEASE Help

I have a 2000 TJ Sport. I finally save enough money to get my jeep the way i want it. But i need your help. Can you please give me some advise on the following:
    1) I have stock 307 gears running 33x12.50 on a 4" lift and its slugish inline 6 cyl with 3 speed automatic (no overdrive). I plan on going to 35" tires in the very near future. Should i upgrade to 410 or 456 gears?

2) I am upgrading my Dana 35 to a Dana 44 andalso regearing my front dana 30 also with an ARB locker (as in the rear). I have the money but am wondering if i should get the work done at Scotty's Jeep in Fontana, 4 Wheel Parts, Tri City in Pomona, or Nationwide in Yuciapa (as you can see i am in the I.E. and want to stay local). Can you guys tell me which one you would go with? Obviuously, 4 wheelparts is a little on the pricey side.

So far, i've been quoted around 5,5k at 4 wheel parts, Scotty's 4,2k (but using a stock used Rubicon rear 44 with 410 gears and matching front. I have to call the other two.

Please give advise/recommendations. I want to do it soon before i spend the money or chicken out.

Thanks All,

Roy

Call Me in the morning.......... I can help and give you a great deal.

Brett
    offroadwerkz.com
    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
      Call Me in the morning.......... I can help and give you a great deal.

Brett
      Brett,

Where are you located? i didn't want to drive hours to get to you. I kind of wanted to stay local. But i am serious about getting it done ASAP

Comment

I am in Ventura and I can get on it very quickly. I have new dana 44 housings for TJ's local and gears etc. I stand behind all of my work 6 month or 6000 miles - double what the California law says. Call me in the AM and I will do my best.....
        Brett
        offroadwerkz.com
        (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

I have the same set up, using rubicon front/rear axles with 4.10's, great for me but 4.56's would give you that extra oomf. I have a 97 tj, 3 speed auto and 4.0 with 35 inch tires. I have no problem going up hills, personally, you should try the 4.10's before you tear the axles apart.

Comment

you can call Rick @ 4 west in Colton, near the 10/215 fwy. Should be real close. He does most of the work you want, 909-824-0024.

Or get the deal from 4 wheel parts on their 44 axles, they build them in Compton and will bring them up to you.

Depending on how much fwy driving you do, you might consider 4.88's, the least I would go would be 4.56, your looking around 2 or 3 hundred RPM difference.

Comment

Jason at Tri-County is a honest guy, and they do good work. I would certainly call them and chat with them. I now use them exclusively, and they have done quite a bit of work on my Jeep. His number is 909-623-3373. I have not used Scotty's, but I have heard some good things about them.
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

For a 3-speed automatic and 35" tires, you really want 4.56 gearing which will keep that 3-speed from bogging the engine down.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

You can drive mine on the freeway and up hills if you like here in san berdoo, it will give you a feel at least with 4.10's. It all depends what you will do with it, I am hitting 2750 rpms at 65 per gps reading. 4.56's should put you at around 3000 which is ideal for more power/torque. I drive it over the cajon pass at least twice a week at 70 mph without the tranny searching for gears. On a side note; going up waterman canyon/18 to crestline it bogs down a little on some steep inclines.
                  Last edited by scherf68; 08-27-07, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I have been to Scotty's twice for parts. I would only go back as a last resort.
                    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

you mean the IE bandids?.. they typically charge like 5.00 less than dealer for most seriously used parts...

funny how they stay in business.
                      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Scotty's primary axle guy was very unfortunately killed in the last year while Jeeping. I would only recommend Scotty's for parts only for a while.
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

FWIW, I had TriCoGear put 4.88 in my Rubi. The thing creeps like a garden snail, but I hit the speed limiter at around 80 mph!

I'll probably pull the 4.88 and put them up for sale for any gear-rowers that want to put them in a standard tranny vehicle. For an auto, I think 4.56 are plenty fine.

BTW, TCG had some personnel problems a few years back, but things are more normal now. Jason runs a pretty tight ship and he recruited Mike Mendoza back from 4WP.
                          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                          2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Working...
                          X