Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KJ's have LWB's

Figured this was probably the best spot to share my KJ SFA build since they don't fit into the short wheelbase section.

My Blue 03 KJ is currently at All J Products shop in Big Bear undergoing a SFA transformation. Hopefully I will have it back in another month or so.
    Here is a brief history of my KJ:
    Brand new, one of the 1st trips in the dirt.

A couple days and 390 miles on the OD later at All J's OLD shop 3/03.

Daystar 2.5" lift w/ Ranchos, skids, bars, etc. ready to rock.

This KJ has seen Numerous off road trips to places like Los Coyotes, Calico, All over Big Bear including numerous trips on John bull, Holcomb Creek, Gold Mountain, etc. Many trails in Moab incl. Poison Spider, Flat Iron Mesa, Hells Revenge, etc. It is a great grocery getter to boot!

The next phase.
    I will update this thread w/ pics and info as we proceed. I will start w/ this pic of a pile of parts:

In the pic is the Rubicon, NV241OR 4:1 transfer case, a JE Reel driveshaft, (still need another one)Warn locking hubs for HPD30, alloy axles w/ CTM joints, Crane D30 cover, extended brake lines, and steering box.

I will try to get a pic of the axles at the shop this weekend.
    The front is a XJ HPD30 that will be stuffed w/ ARB, 4.56's, the above axles and locking hubs, WJ knuckles w/ high steer and big brakes w/ slotted & cryo'd rotors w/ performance pads. The D30 also has a relocated track bar bracket, relocated/lengthened sway bar mounts, adjustable upper ball joints, axle tube seals, etc.....

The rear is a D44 from a TJ that wil have all custom brackets, discs w/ slotted rotors, currently a Detroit locker w/ 4.56's, (might have to go to an ARB) alloy axles, etc........

My hope is to get up to the shop at least weekly to see the progress and lend a hand assy some of my components such as the axles. I will take a lot of pics and keep this thread going. I am also keeping a detailed record of what goes on and into this build to share w/ others that are considering it. It won't be cheap but it will be what I want when it is done. I can't wait!

Stay tuned....

The start of the axle pics.....
    I started assembly of the front axle but ran into some missing parts issues. Wheeee!!!
    The front ARB & 4.56's are hiding behind the Crane cover. Professionally assembled by Frank @ All J's.

I was missing the nut for the LBJ and ended up having to buy a whole new ball joint just to get the nut so $55 later I could get this far.

Of course, after buying the whole new ball joint I realized that I was also missing the zerk fitting plugs for the ball joints and spent an hour and a half running around Big Bear to find a second one so I could seal up the ball joints after lubing them. UGH!! All that lost time for a $.25 part! I wasn't about to buy another whole ball joint just for the plug. :roll:

Here is an interesting/cool upper ball joint assy. that allows you to be able to adjust the camber/caster on the front axle. You can also see the axle tube seals in this pic.

Made by INGALLS (click the text to go to their site)

I will be up at the shop later this week finishing up the front axle and starting to cut off some of the old parts. Stay tuned, more to come....

Comment

I cant wait to see that done...for some reason I love seeing built up KJs. I think they are really cool and unique.
      Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

somebody has to really love their KJ to build them like this, it's awesome!
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
          somebody has to really love their KJ to build them like this, it's awesome!
          We do! The KJ is what got my family started in wheeling and it has taken me to some awesome places and helped me to meet some of the coolest people i know. I can think of nothing better than continuing to build my 1st Jeep. There will be other Jeeps in my driveway but I will always have my KJ. Heck, I have two of them now!

Comment

Pretty sweet! Thanks for posting pics! I too love seeing built KJs!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Ok, I spent the day at All J's and tore it up! I removed the whole front suspension, steering, rear, etc. She is now ready for the plasma cutter.
              Pics...

Tars...

more to come....

Comment

What a PITA. The auto parts stores in Big Bear suck. I went looking for bearings and seals for TJ "hubs" and neither the NAPA or Carquest could get me what I needed. Another waste of time.....well except that I got to hang out in Big Bear looking for parts for a couple hours.....

Oh and I did get to see my Nth Degree parts... probably the Laast Nth parts that will be shipped out for a while...

About $2500 worth in those boxes. :shock:

I did also get the NP231 transfer case removed and the NV241 Rubicon case installed. It went right in like butter.

And I got my new disc brake backing plates from Mopar ($111 ea.) and the new Mopar calipers ($75 ea)

It was cheaper to buy new calipers from Mopar than to buy rebuilds due to the core chare. Napa wanted $65 per caliper and $55 per core. Since I didn't have cores it wasn't worth trying to save $10 for rebuilt calipers. :roll:

More to come soon..... Thanks for following along.

Comment

why do you say you got the last parts from Nth for a while?

Did something happen to them?

Or are you just protesting the price?
                  :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                    why do you say you got the last parts from Nth for a while?

Did something happen to them?

Or are you just protesting the price?
                    Nth is gone. Well, they are not totally gone yet but they will be soon and are being taken over by another company. There are posts around the net about it but I have it from a good source that it is definately true.

Comment

Update, long over due.

Been a while since I updated and I have had two since this one.
                      More pics of progress finally.....
                      KJ D44 w/ Nth stinger/slider setup installed:

Nth subframe & mounts for control arms:

Belly pan/skid/trans mount assy, etc. pics: (Nice and Flat on bottom, even flatter than a TJ w/ Nth)

Front axle mounts, etc.

Tire and wheel combo.

Looks like it will be done just about in time for santa to bring it to me and put it in my stocking. More to come.....

Comment

And the latest progress update from today. I saw Maxwell up there today at the shop. His wife was ready to pop! HEY MAX!! The cookies were good! (Quinn shared)

It never fails. Just when you think you got it close the little things start to hit ya. The front coils showed but shocks are being built and hopefully will be here in a couple days. And still waiting on rear coils.... Time to yell at Seth!! :lol: I need longer brake lines than the ones I got over a year ago from Jeepin' By Al so hopefully we can get those quickly this week. Everything was installed back underhood and I installed the front upper shock mounts where the stock upper strut mount used to be. Naturally I forgot to snap some pics of those..... :roll:

The rear is In:

Steering box bolted in. (bracket still needs final finishing after final decision on the trac bar and then bracket is welded in)

Front steering is on and looking good: (just need a drop pitman to keep the angles real nice)

Super flat belly skid assy. Not much to drag on underneath w/ the flat belly and kicked up control arms and rear diff skid. Thing is smooth.

Preview look. Not at ride height but about half way between ride height and full droop.

I can hardly stand waiting any longer knowing how close it is getting. hopefully the rest of the parts will show up in time to get it done this upcoming week.

Comment

Kj

Nice job. I have never seen one built. Very professional looking. I want to see some wheelin photos. It reminds me of a Volkswagen commercial many years ago. Very bad ass VW with the caption "Nothing is sacred"

Comment

Oh there will be wheeling photos for sure. I can hardly wait. Here are some old wheelin' Pics from this KJ:

BTW, I noticed I didn't comment on the New D44. It is from South America and came out of a KJ. Down in So-America is a Dana plant and also a Jeep plant and I guess they use all D44's from the local plant to build their Jeeps. This one is special due to extra reinforcements built in, the speedo sensor pickup (seen in the top view pic of the Nth stinger) and it is also an inch wider per side than a standard KJ 8.25 or TJ D44. I stuffed this one w/ an ARB.
                            The original D44 in the earlier pics w/ the Detroit in it is for sale.

Comment

Wow John, I am really impressed! I can't believe how flat that custom TT is. The project is looking great! I hope to join you on a trail just to watch you cycle that suspension! You got to be excited to get that thing on the dirt!
                              Best, Max7
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X