Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runnin hot

Just got my 79 cj with the 304 back on the trail. ( See post in Welcome Section). Now I have a new problem. It's runnin hot. Not so much on the road, a little above half on the gage. On the trail the temp gage is 7/8 the whole time if i'm crawlin. when I stop if I don't let it run for ten minutes to cool down it blows coolant all over, out the over flow. Do I need a new radiator or could it be the thermostat? Doesn't seem like it to me because it does all-right on the road, but I'm no expert. Thanks for any input
    '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Try a new thermostat. Make sure the cooling sysytem is completely full, purge all air out. Check air flow thru the raditor, (I had the wrong fan for my engine.)
    With engine running and raditor cap off look for bubbles coming out(sign of blown head gasket.)all so you are looking for flow of coolant thru raditor.

Newly installed engine are prone to air pockets and can cause over heating.

My :2: I hope this helps.
    [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
    In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Here are common symptoms and answers if that helps....1=Usually if it gets hot quickly and overheats - it needs a new thermostat.
      2=If it gets hot on the road and does not cool down - it needs a radiator.
      3=If it ok on the road and gets hot at idle - it needs a fan clutch or the radiator fan is not operating.
      offroadwerkz.com
      (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Even if the radiator is clogged (which most people have when they have a "bad radiator), it usually doesn't need to be replaced. Just drive the Jeep over to a small independent radiator shop and have them overhaul the radiator. They'll take it apart, rod out the mineral deposits that are usually the problem, and then put it back together and with a fresh paint job, make it look and perform like new. And always use distilled water in a radiator, tap water will just eventually clog it up again with mineral deposits.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by fun4wheelerguy View Post
          Here are common symptoms and answers if that helps....1=Usually if it gets hot quickly and overheats - it needs a new thermostat.
          2=If it gets hot on the road and does not cool down - it needs a radiator.
          3=If it ok on the road and gets hot at idle - it needs a fan clutch or the radiator fan is not operating.
          Mine does a little of each. get hot on the trail but not on the road. it cools eventually at idle. I need to idle it to keep it from boiling if I want to shut it off. the fan is spinning so I think the clutch is all right. Thanks for the input
          '79 cj7, SOA. shackle reverse, custom cage, flow master, holly carb, 35" maxxis tires, custom bumpers and rockers, dana 44's locked, bead locks

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
            Even if the radiator is clogged (which most people have when they have a "bad radiator), it usually doesn't need to be replaced. Just drive the Jeep over to a small independent radiator shop and have them overhaul the radiator. They'll take it apart, rod out the mineral deposits that are usually the problem, and then put it back together and with a fresh paint job, make it look and perform like new. And always use distilled water in a radiator, tap water will just eventually clog it up again with mineral deposits.
            This sounds like it could be a likely culprit. Would a clogged radiator cool but effectively enough for slow speed hard work driving?

Comment

Originally posted by cannon View Post
              This sounds like it could be a likely culprit. Would a clogged radiator cool but effectively enough for slow speed hard work driving?
              Yes. Low speed stuff where there's little air flow over the radiator is the toughest test for a radiator.

Comment

well I went ahead and ordered a new radiator. There wasn't anywhere close to me that could flush mine effectively. The down falls of living in the middle of nowhere. I am now contemplating doing the ford taurus electric fan. it seems like the way to go with electric. Hopefully the combination of the new radiator and a new electric fan system will solve my problems.

Comment

I forgot to ask... your fan is operating inside a fan shroud right? Without a fan shroud, cooling problems can be common. A friend's '73 CJ5 doesn't have a fan shroud and it always runs a little too hot.

Comment

yeah I have a shroud. But I think that it will go when I get the electric. They usually go right on the radiator, correct?

Comment

Fans don't work well unless their air flow is carefully confined to the area the fan covers. It'll "spray air" out to the sides instead of pulling air through the radiator without a shroud.

Comment

I am thinking of getting the ford taurus electric . From what I have read it works really well. I think that It mounts right from to the back of the radiator. You right though I will need something to hold the air so it goes through not around. I wonder if most people use the ford shroud or the one from the jeep in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                        X