Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torn between engines

my cj5 has a 304 in it currently and it smokes pretty bad.... so here is where I stand

rebuild the 304, go with slightly higher compression, a little larger cam, dun have much access to cylinder heads other than doing some slight port work on the stockers, use the current aluminum intake, new clutch and thats about all that I need to do the 304...and from what I hear they are super weak engines. and do all that for around $1000 orless...and not even have to do any fabrication to make it work

OR

I could take a sbc 350 I have in the shop, go with a 6.0" rod setup, use the bowtie heads(pretty good heads by old school standards) that i have. I need new intake, new valvetrain, oil pan, etc. I can use that setup, need engine mounts and a tranny adapter,I think I have the T176 tranny which is ok for this setup, and some work to make it fit, along with needing a new set of headers. Which will probably run me $2000 or maybe a little more. I would have an engine that would make 350+hp though.

But if I go to the SBC I'm looking and a much greater chance to break stuff.... which I am expecting to do anyway... I just like to have upgrades ready for it when I break things...and with that much power there isnt any telling what may go at anytime.

I kinda like the 304 b/c its a jeep thing....but from what I hear about em being soo weak I just dunno. I havent gotten to drive this thing down the highway yet so it may have more power than what I think it does

what do you guys think?
    80 cj5- under going sbc swap, dana 60 and 14 bolt sping overs
    86 cj7- stock.

If you don't mind weak on the highway, you can fix some of the weakness on the trail with gearing. Getting an atlas/stak transfer case that gears you really low with tons of torque is another option.
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

stick to the 304 if you can have it built right for less. keep that 1000 for something else. im sure you can buy something else cant you?.. use it for lasik surgery, or buy a kayak, or get braces, or buy a surround sound for your house, or get a soft top and a stinger... you get the idea.
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
      X