Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ack!! mah linkage!!

Those of you who were in BigBear this weekend know of my saga. Well, my linkage was disconnected and being that I'm an idiot, I can't seem to fix it....

I need to get it into neutral so that there's room to get the pin thing back into the lever on the t-case but I have no idea which way it's supposed to go. Up or down. I looked at the way the lever (inside the cab) moves the linkage but I keep second guessing myself on which way the lever on the t-case moves...... well it doesn't seem to want to move at all actually.

The jeep's in neutral, what am I doing wrong??

If the Jeep is in 2-hi, then the lever will only go one way. It takes a bit of leverage to get it to move, but you should be able to do it with a set of vice grips. If I remember correctly, the t-case shifts into 4WD by the lever moving FORWARD toward the front of the Jeep, and it is in 2WD when the lever is in the most rearward position.

Neutral on the t-case is two clicks from 2-hi. So, move it one click, and you're in 4-hi. Next click is neutral, next click after that is 4-lo.

If you have jackstands, put all 4 wheels in the air. That takes all of the stress off the driveline and makes the linkage repair much easier. Once all 4 wheels are in the air, checking the t-case for which position it's in becomes easy: in 2-Hi, the front driveshaft will turn freely. In 4WD, the front and rear will be locked together. In neutral, each driveshaft will turn independently.
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Well, I length of rope, some vice grips, and a whole lotta cursing, it's fixed. When I installed my body lift, the instructions specifically said there was no need to install the drop bracket on the linkage since I'd done a MML. Well they were wrong. I needed the bracket and now it shifts like a dream. yay!!!

Oh the lever goes back, counter clockwise, for anyone who needs to know. I could have sworn it went the other way too.

Comment

Sah-weet! good to hear ya got it fixed! what bracket kit did you use? Desert Jewel is gonna git the same treatment....
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

It's just the bracket that came with the JKS body lift (which I'm hoping to take of one day, I'm not a fan of BLs). It lined everything back up really nice and it shifts easy as pie.

I guess I don't have to take the dang thing out into a field and shoot it now.

Comment

What you want to take out in the field and shoot is the bracket that mounts the shifter to the BODY of the TJ (immediately after that, hunt down the moron engineer at Jeep that moved it from the transfer case - where it belongs)
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Amen! Preach it!

:hijack:

Now that the bracket buisness is through, when are we gonna go shooting?

I know I'm not the only 2nd amendment fan in here..
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Se habla .45ACP?

LOL

Maybe when I get back from Powell.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY
                You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Working...
                X